5 or 6 axis MPG/Handwheel choices?

More
25 May 2018 15:38 #111120 by Sparky961
I was looking at the WHB04B-6 on eBay but when I dug deeper I found some discussion here regarding this controller and it doesn't seem to be supported out of the box. Am I mistaken on this, or is there another one that's recommended if there are at least 5 axes I want to control?

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 May 2018 23:01 #111131 by rodw
I use a 6 axis wireless pendant with a Mesa MPG. The wireless receiver is hardwired into the controlbox (to my Mesa 7i76e). If thats of interest I'll dig up some details when I get home later today.

More
26 May 2018 00:37 #111132 by Sparky961
Yes, this sounds like it could be very useful.

Thanks!

More
26 May 2018 01:19 #111134 by rodw
I purchased ATWGP 01-6BB with no display
www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Intellige...15.89.1a1333c5PvucJq

The realy box appears to have changed
Key parameters are:
5 volt encoder,
Coded (binary) output for axis selection (decode with Mux8)

Quite expensive but its been very reliable

More
26 May 2018 01:33 #111135 by Sparky961
Ah, I see... so the "magic white box" contains the wireless receiver and converts to wired signals just like traditional MPGs.

I was hoping for a plug 'n' play USB dongle type of thing similar to the ubiquitous 4-axis version. I have another machine that uses one of those.

I have little need for it to be wireless, so if it's the same wiring as a TOSOKU or similar that might be the way to go if there's nothing else that works out of the box. What I didn't like about the last time I integrated an MPG was the number of inputs taken up by the axis and multiplier selection. Having one with a USB dongle entirely solves that issue.

More
26 May 2018 01:42 #111136 by rodw
If you have a mesa card, inputs are in abundance. By specifying binary coded inputs, you only use 3 inputs for axis selection and 2 for scale selection and one of the Mesa MPG inputs for the jog wheel. Plus you can use the other buttons for whatever you like.

More
26 May 2018 01:50 #111137 by Sparky961
In most applications I agree there would be plenty of IO left, but with only the 7i76e and no daughter card the IO is quickly being spoken for with the machine I'm working on.

I'm not discarding this as a potential solution. It definitely seems better than the part number I started off with.

Time to create page: 0.075 seconds