VFD issues

More
28 May 2018 00:17 #111205 by javelin
VFD issues was created by javelin
I have gotten Linuxcnc working with the RS485 to communicate to my VFD. I love how I can use Linuxcnc to control the spindle speed and also see the spindle at speed on screen. It took a little reading and work but that side is now looking nice thanks to everyone here.

I will post links to the products I have and am using so that you guys can see what I have:
VFD
Spindle

I loaded the numbers from the VFD web page. Yet when the spindle runs it gets too hot within about 5 to 10 min depending on speed. When I run it at 10k plus rpm it gets hot much faster. I do not have a thermometer yet to define hot, you cannot keep your hand on the spindle for more than a few seconds without real discomfort.

So I am here asking two things:

1. If anyone has experience with this kind of vfd (yeah I know its not the best by any stretch of the imagination), any input you have on how to keep it running the spindle cooler or at least cool enough to be of use would be great.

2. If I decide I am just done with fooling around with this thing, what vfd would you guys recommend that is affordable (sub 500 usd) preferably. I know this price range is not exactly giving a robust option of dependability.

Nevertheless I thought I would crowd source this issue and see what comes of it here.

Thanks for all the help.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 May 2018 01:35 #111207 by DanMN
Replied by DanMN on topic VFD issues
I've seen one instance of someone through-drilling the mounting block, tapping all four openings, installing 1/8" barb fittings, then plumbing the block for water cooling.

I've heard air cooled spindles in general struggle with heat issues - one that big is hard to imagine effectively cooling with passive air cooling alone.

More
28 May 2018 03:02 #111208 by InMyDarkestHour
Replied by InMyDarkestHour on topic VFD issues
I'd contact the vendor, I believe they were kelinginc or are associated with them, ask then if they have any info on temperature ratings then make some measurements with a thermometer.

Get some real specs and real measurements before going too far.

More
28 May 2018 03:58 #111210 by curtisa
Replied by curtisa on topic VFD issues
Your VFD looks like a Huanyang. I found this page helpful when I set mine up.

There are a couple of settings on the automationtechnologies web page that don't look right to me. PD011 (min frequency) = 0 is way too low for an air-cooled spindle, which won't help things. PD009 and PD010 might be set too low as well. These settings relate to the V/Hz ramp characteristics of the spindle motor, and setting them incorrectly will result in the motor overheating at low RPMs due to over-fluxing of the windings.

For comparison, I have a 1.5kW air-cooled spindle, and set pretty much as per the above page (making allowances for the lower rated current of the motor), runs mildly warm to the touch after about 20mins at 7200RPM. Running the spindle flat out actually runs it cooler, partly due to the windings being operated outside a low V/Hz band and partly due to the increased airflow at high RPM.

More
28 May 2018 19:39 #111233 by javelin
Replied by javelin on topic VFD issues
I did contact the vendor and Automation Technology is actually really fast and good at getting back to me even on Memorial Day lol... so wow.

Anyway I did a complete master reset of the vfd and re-entered the values as per the webpage for that vfd, even if like some others here said some of the values looked to be low. I agree it appears low. Yet the vendor verified that those values are the ones that should work for even an air cooled spindle. Yet I found what may be the issue.

I pulled the plug off of the spindle and grabbed my multimeter and then checked the pins out of my curiosity.

Pins 1 to 2 = 2.7 ohms
pins 2 to 3 = 1 ohm
pins 3 to 1 = 2.9 ohms

So apparently the problem is with the spindle. Those readings should be closer together. Much closer together. It looks like I may have lost a phase. The funny thing is that the spindle runs when I turn it on. I swapped U and V wires in the vfd to reverse the direction and see what would happen. It spins in reverse but also gets hot.

I will call the vendor back and see what they have to say. Odds are I caused the issue on the spindle on my initial setup being stupid. Pay to play and pay for the education. I dont mind that, it just drives you crazy trying to discover at times what is exactly causing the issue.

More
30 May 2018 17:28 #111326 by javelin
Replied by javelin on topic VFD issues
I am looking at the Hitachi WJ200 as a possible vfd to use. I know that Linuxcnc has a driver for it but has anyone successfully set one up? The information I have managed to find on the fourms for it is kinda sketchy and some people seem to have problems running the modbus with it from what ive read. If I go that rout I just want to know how easy it is to setup before I buy.

More
30 May 2018 18:37 #111329 by Donno
Replied by Donno on topic VFD issues
My VFD which looks like yours Huanyang had exactly the same problem would work only in th morning and at night when it was cooler and after 5 - 10 min would have an error. I bought a dirt cheap VFD called NF9000 on ebay wrote the linuxcnc drivers myself forum.linuxcnc.org/30-cnc-machines/34340...vers-for-nf-9000-vfd

Time to create page: 0.084 seconds