Lathe C -Axis

More
05 Jun 2018 17:46 #111689 by dextaca
Lathe C -Axis was created by dextaca
Good Day All.

Have a quick question. Doing a retro on our older WSC-6 ( Murata lathe ) and wondering if c-axis is feasible with LinuxCNC since the spindle motor is a full blown servo spindle ( Mitsubishi / VFD, motor has internal encoder and external encoder attached directly to the spindle for real spindle position. ) I went trough the posts and saw a post from Andy about it.. any news?

regards
Peter

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Jun 2018 17:15 #111771 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Lathe C -Axis
Yes, it shouldn't be too hard. I nearly managed it with an ordinary induction motor spindle.
You might want to decide if you want to use it as a full C axis, or use M19 spindle orient.

More
06 Jun 2018 18:37 #111778 by dextaca
Replied by dextaca on topic Lathe C -Axis
Hi Andy Nice to hear from you.. Full C axis with french fries please..
If possible. Could you shed some light on how to?

Thank you Peter

More
07 Jun 2018 00:20 #111805 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Lathe C -Axis
Well, first you have to decide on how you want to switch between C-axis and normal spindle control.

One way might be to always drop back to C-axis closed-loop when the spindle is turned off. That could probably work, but might make getting the chuck key in difficult, or clocking up work in the 4-jaw chuck. So to make that decision requires consideration of how you expect to work. (Those considerations are irrelevant with a power chuck and bar-feeder.)

If switching that way then I think I would be looking at writing a custom HAL component that feeds the PID with a target position 2 full revs in the future when the spindle speed drops below a threshold.

Time to create page: 0.118 seconds