What Linux CAD and CAM software do YOU use?

More
23 Jul 2010 16:59 #3471 by ichudov
I would like to ask the esteemed members of this thread, what kind of CAD and CAM software do you use.

I am aware of a few software lists floating around online, but I want to find out what people actually use on a regular basis.

Thanks

i

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Jul 2010 21:54 #3479 by andypugh
ichudov wrote:

I would like to ask the esteemed members of this thread, what kind of CAD and CAM software do you use.

I use Alibre CAD at home (bought it) and Inventor at work (which is a whole lot better. I actively like Inventor. I dislike ordinary Autocad)

I hardly use any CAM, but I have a demo version of SheetCAM which has been useful.

Generally, at the moment, I hand-code my G-code from CAD-made drawings.

More
26 Aug 2010 11:54 #3881 by bengineer
I've wasted probably hundreds of hours looking for a good (affordable) Linux 3d CAD package - it simply doesn't exist at the moment. The only one that I've really found is VariCAD, and after using the demo I didn't really like it much (plus it was still pretty pricey). As far as 2D on Linux, qCAD is a pretty good (free) one.
I've resigned to dual-boxing my PC with Ubuntu/XP, and using Alibre for 3D and Draftsight (free AutoCAD verbatim clone) for 2D - Last I heard, Draftsight is planning to port to Linux, which will be wonderful.
FreeCAD is a potential free 3D CAD for Linux, but it's still deep in development. Hopefully they'll make it to beta release (I've found in searching that dozens of people had the good intention of developing a free 3D package for Linux, only for it to fall by the way side and never make too much out of it).

As far as CAM, I can't help you there, sorry!

More
27 Aug 2010 09:28 #3898 by andypugh
bengineer wrote:

I've wasted probably hundreds of hours looking for a good (affordable) Linux 3d CAD package

Have you looked at HeeksCAD? There is a significant overlap between the Heeks and EMC2 communities, and a fair bit of synergy happening.

More
27 Aug 2010 16:54 #3904 by Mike_Eitel
I use SolidEdge and Mastercam

Still in "exercise" phase with mastercam

Mike

More
27 Aug 2010 23:20 #3905 by BigJohnT
If you must know, I use SolidWorks and OneCNC both very expensive. SolidWorks is top notch and very productive... OneCNC is medium for productive and price...

John

More
05 Sep 2010 14:15 #3983 by M4MazakUser
being a user of cnc machines for many years, i find that unless u are doing a complex shape, hand coding is all round a better option.
but! as far as mould work goes, i use solidworks, for 3d, "any" cad pgm for 2d, and mastercam for cam.
u will always find that on part runs of more than 10 (within reason) an experienced person can write a faster program than cam.

Mastercam is pretty hard to work out at first and costly for training/options. but it is meant to be paid for for the work it can do,
mould work is pretty complex, and one clik re-writes are great! that said, i used to do all mould work with "custom macro b"
or using an axis rotation function on a heidenhain control. mould work is usually just stepover repetition anyway.

Time to create page: 0.072 seconds