Something weird going on... Large Y axis movements work but small ones don't...

More
15 Jun 2018 14:00 - 15 Jun 2018 14:01 #112404 by buffcleb

This machine is based on a RF45...I'm converting it from a proprietary system to linuxCNC... It uses Gecko clones with 1200oz Nema 34... The Geckos use a 68v power transformer... The drivers are slightly different... the X axis one does not have a red indicator light while the Y & Z do.

The X and Y axis use the same setup.... same pitch ball screw, same config... The X works fine... but as you can see here the Y not so much...

during small movements the on screen Y axis numbers are moving but the drive isn't even trying to move... after this I did some more testing in the air and had the same results... There are hand wheels on each stepper and I can feel on steps are happening and when these smaller Y axis movements should be happening I feel nothing on the Y axis motor...

I'm thinking its the driver... I went and ordered two actual Gecko drivers for the X and Y axis but I'm curious what anyone else thinks... I'm going to swap the X & Y drivers when I get home from work and see if the problem follows the driver or not...

I'm also wondering about the driver timing... the drive moves... homing the axis works fine... if the value works for one movement will they work for all... or could some additional tuning there be needed...
Attachments:
Last edit: 15 Jun 2018 14:01 by buffcleb.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Jun 2018 17:19 - 15 Jun 2018 17:20 #112421 by PCW
I have seen behaviour like this (fast pulse trains work, slow ones do not) with marginal signal levels or step lengths too short
Last edit: 15 Jun 2018 17:20 by PCW.
The following user(s) said Thank You: buffcleb

More
16 Jun 2018 03:07 #112455 by buffcleb
ok... figured it out... I said above that the X axis driver was different then the others... it didn't have a status light... when I was setting up the timings for the drivers the Z axis needed different values...

but the Z & Y axis looked the same... I had the Y set with the same timing values as the X axis, the 201 ones from the linuxCNC pncconf drop down, The Z axis didn't work with those but did with the 203 settings... So I switched the Y axis to the 203 timing values and it works...

Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.135 seconds