ISEL CNC/IMC4 programming language

More
28 Jun 2018 21:36 #113032 by davidp
Hello:
We do have a custom application running our ISEL 3 axis CNC machine that is 18 years old running small stepper motors in open loop.
Having control problems, and wish to use the application and change out the control to LinuxCNC with Gecko Drives.
Have a copy of the program available, just won't be able to email it as a .exe file.
Maybe someone has written a app to merge the two together.
Thank you, david

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Jun 2018 23:06 #113038 by cmorley
Could you give more detail of your application?
Does it create Gcode and thus just must be converted to linuxcnc Gcode?

Chris M

More
29 Jun 2018 00:24 #113042 by davidp
Hi Chris:
Thank You for your prompt reply!
Have not used the forum before, first time.
No, it does not appear to output gcode. I really don't know. I don't have a way to test it, nor to "snoop" the output of the program application.
However, there is a gcode interface, and with help from the OEM, was able to use the interface, able to communicate with the control board, but not able to make it move.
It is called Techno CPM GCODE Interface (version 2.53 and is copyrighted 2003).
It was on the Win XP computer with the program.
I do have the ISEL programming guide for our machine which is called a CPM machine.
It looks like a proprietary programming language. Some of the other machines in this group use pascal and DOS.
I do have the application program which is relatively small at 1.5megs, and can email it to you as a .txt file.
My email is: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Also, I could mail you a copy of the application program, if you like.
Been working on it since January 2018, and my repairs for changing capacitors, voltage regulators, now integrated circuits is last on the list. More.

More
29 Jun 2018 00:27 #113043 by davidp
This machine is a machine that drills optical lenses.
That is all it does.
It does it relatively quickly at about two minutes, and very accurately.
Essentially a three axis router with spindle.
Drills holes with a one mm router bit that drills holes and makes notches in lenses from 1.0mm-3.00mm.
Uses a proxxon multi tool similar to a Dremel, only better made.
Thank you,

david

More
29 Jun 2018 12:12 #113083 by andypugh
How do you program it?

If you can store programs, what do they look like?

CPM? Could be: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CP/M which is an old competitor to DOS. But that was abandoned in 1983 so is unlikely to have been used on your machine. (I am just old enough to have used it at school)

More
29 Jun 2018 12:15 #113084 by andypugh
I found the programming manual:

www.isel.com/en/downloads/dl/file/id/429...ramming_englisch.pdf

Looks like a lot of fun :-)

More
29 Jun 2018 16:10 #113101 by davidp
Thank you.

Unless we are able to find a way to translate the program into what we need, we won't be able to use the application.

Don't know enough to proceed; however, Thank you for your responses!

david

More
29 Jun 2018 18:58 #113106 by andypugh
So, you want LinuxCNC to run with DNC and the ISEL motion commands?

I think that this is actually possible. LinuxCNC has "pluggable interpreters" so the control language does not have to be G-code.

Normally that would be a big job, but actually the ISEL language looks very simple.

Sending the program through serial might be a problem (not an unsurmountable one) but if your program can save to file (shared folder on the LinuxCNC PC for preference) then that would work well.

More
29 Jun 2018 19:02 #113108 by andypugh
Thinking further: A python application running on the LinuxCNC machine could watch the serial port and convert the ISEL commands to G-code.

That ought to work, and might not be all that difficult.
The following user(s) said Thank You: davidp

More
29 Jun 2018 22:18 #113111 by davidp
Hi Andy:

YES!!! Yes, we want LinuxCNC. Have Linux computer I put together. Don't know what DNC means in your example, and did google it.

Just not sure which DNC will run with it to run the ISEL motion commands. You are definitely light years ahead of my CNC entry level...

With knowledge, there is a transference of skill. Maybe the same for you and the ISEL language. The whole program is about 1.5 megs. The machine goes home against some limit switches. There is a table which tilts the lenses to better match the front curve of the lens(es) for drilling. Drilling lenses 1.0mm-3.00mm Turn on/off spindle. Return tilt table to home/go home.

Not sure about communication through serial port/RS232/DB9. Again, you are way above my level of CNC.

No files are saved, other than when a new drill sequence needs to be saved, and all of it is on the application/hard drive. Not sure about a shared file in LinuxCNC.

Now that you knocked my socks off, how to move forward?

Thank you,

david

Time to create page: 0.134 seconds