ISEL CNC/IMC4 programming language

More
29 Jun 2018 22:26 #113114 by davidp
Again, above my basic level of CNC.

Have programmed with HTML; however it has been many years, and I remember pulling my hair out, at times, trying to make the code work. Python is above my level of CNC. I do know what it is.

There is a gcode application that is TECHNO CNC GCode interpreter. Old, and as previously written, and copyrighted 2003. On computer, and I believe it is only there for the host computer (Win XP) to talk with the controller, and make simple movements.

Glad to know you have thought about it, and believe it will be not be difficult.

As previously written, now that you knocked my socks off, what more information would you like me to provide?

My particular skill is contact lenses and optical lenses. All phases from taking orders to designing lenses, to over-refractions. You are definitely in an area I have light years to catch up to you...I am truly sorry for my ignorance, however, this forum is here, and with your knowledge, thankfully, you have replied.

david

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Jun 2018 15:21 #113133 by andypugh

Don't know what DNC means in your example, and did google it.[/code]

DNC is where movement instructions are sent from the host one at a time to the motion controller. (drip-feed)
www.mmsonline.com/articles/dnc-faster-and-better----part-one

I _think_ this is what you have, and what you want to retain?

Now that you knocked my socks off, how to move forward?

I think you need to find a Python programmer, or become one.

I just found this, which seems close to what you need.
github.com/mizoguch-ken/LinuxCNC-DNC

The "magic" happens here:
github.com/mizoguch-ken/LinuxCNC-DNC/blo...r/python/dnc.py#L163

The Python code spots the end-of-line marker and then does some special-case handling, and if all is well it adds the G-code to the queue at line 191.

In your case you need to translate the ISEL language in to G-code. That will take a bit of work to parse the incoming data stream in variables and then into G-code strings. But Python is probably an ideal language to be doing that in.

The following user(s) said Thank You: davidp

More
30 Jun 2018 19:07 #113142 by davidp
Thank you for the link to DNC. I understand. Was not aware of Github until now, Thank You!

Our movements appear to be very simple, and with LinuxCNC, DNC may be the way to go as you have explained it, and with your links.

Your link makes total sense to me. Have printed off the github code, Thank You!

I do follow your writing about line 191, Thank You!

Parsing the incoming data is also possible for you. I am learning due to motivation.

How to find a Python gcode translator/programmer?

Thank you,

david

More
30 Jun 2018 20:58 #113143 by davidp
Yes, found per your suggestion using github.

However, the question to ask is: ISEL motion control language to G code translation?

The idea here is I cannot print your results on this forum/exchange without cutting off the right side of all of the text. Will copy and paste.

Or do you suggest using your writing, and forwarding?

Thank you,

david

More
01 Jul 2018 00:01 #113147 by andypugh
I don't really understand what you were saying in the last message.

As a first step I would try setting up that DNC config and replacing the add-to-queue commands with print statements instead, so that you can see if the data is getting to the LinuxCNC machine.

Then we can figure out how to convert that data to G-code commands.

More
01 Jul 2018 00:36 #113148 by davidp
Thank you for your reply!

There is a learning curve I am going through. You are directing!

You are light years ahead of me!

Quite frankly, I don't know how to set up a DNC config. Cannot move forward without knowing how to do, and then figure out how to convert the data. Don't even know if the application program is compiled, or if it sends ASCII commands or gcode.

Believe it sends ASCII commands, and TECHNO developed a gcode interpreter, as previously written. My personal email is: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Don't know how to proceed from here...

Now it is 5:35pm. Going to my 88 year old mother's house to help her with her house. Won't be able to respond tomorrow, Sunday July 01. Will respond when back at work on Monday.

Thank you,

david

Thank you, again, david

More
02 Jul 2018 16:00 #113239 by andypugh
Can we just clarify the actual situation here? This is how I understand it.

You have a application running on a Windows PC that creates codes to control the ISEL machine. There is no alternative way to derive the same data.

The windows machine connects to the ISEL machine via a serial connection, and the ISEL machine is directly controlled by these commands. There is no way to store the generated codes to disc

There is an application that can run on the Windows machine that converts G-code to the ISEL serial data format. (This is no help, if I am describing it correctly).

You want to replace the hardware on the ISEL machine with LinuxCNC, retaining the Windows machine and its software, and having LinuxCNC interpret the serial data and move the machine accordingly.

You have no way to produce the required CAM data other than the Windows application, and the only output format from that software is the ISEL codes.

Is this all correct? If any of these assumptions are wrong then we are racing off n the wrong direction.

More
02 Jul 2018 17:07 #113244 by davidp
Yes, we have a winXP application running an ISEL machine. Custom application and no way to derive the same data without making our own application and machine.

Yes, serial communication via RS232/DB9; application tells ISEL machine what to do, and ISEL machine does it.

About: "There is no way to store the generated codes to disc" I really don't know. If we tell the application to do something, and click "start", then it does its thing. When done, it tells the application something, and the screen no longer shows the lens being drilled/machine stops, and you can open the door.

Yes, there is an application on the win XP machine that converts gcode to isel serial data format. I wish to add: These are commands to verify the host computer is talking with the ISEL machine, and you can make simple movements from that gcode interpreter. For example, move Y axis so many steps. It does not replace the application.

This gcode interpreter does communicate with the ISEL machine via serial/DB9. I don't know if the application we use to drill lenses sends g-codes or not.

Yes, we want to replace the hardware (brains & motors if needed), but wish to retain the winXP application. If this means having linuxCNC computer host and not the winXP host, that is good, too. Yes, have Linux interpret the serial data and move the machine directly.

Yes, we have no way to produce the required CAM data other than the winXP application. Just note that we really don't know the output from the application to the ISEL machine.

If we knew what the application's output was, then that would be a different story, but we don't.

I can email you a copy of the application, or drop a cd/dvd in the mail to you for you to test.

Conclusion:

Answered responsively...Thank you for your thoughts and responses!

Looks like you have everything in place, correctly.

All we really need to know is the output from the winXP custom application that resides on our winXP computer. From there, we could create a file output or a conversion program, and use your suggestion for a python interpreter.

Thank you,

david

More
02 Jul 2018 17:25 #113245 by davidp
Found someone in technical at techno company.

Asking him, right now, what the outputs are for the application. I did send it to him, and he was not able to run the application due to missing a superjoybox7 file, but he did get the executable file and tried to make it work.

Due to time change; he is east coast and we are west coast, will be calling in about an hour.

Ongong now.

Will let you know.

Thank you,

david

More
03 Jul 2018 12:20 #113314 by andypugh

Yes, we have a winXP application running an ISEL machine. Custom application and no way to derive the same data without making our own application and machine.

What are your inputs to the system? It is possible that an existing G-code-creating CAM system can do the job, or that a custom application on a LinuxCNC machine can do it more easily.

Yes, we want to replace the hardware (brains & motors if needed), but wish to retain the winXP application. If this means having linuxCNC computer host and not the winXP host, that is good, too. Yes, have Linux interpret the serial data and move the machine directly.

It might be possible to run XP in a virtual machine on the same PC as LinuxCNC, and use a virtual serial port.

I can email you a copy of the application, or drop a cd/dvd in the mail to you for you to test.

I have a Win7 virtual machine I could try it on.

Time to create page: 0.090 seconds