Revesing spindle servo direction

More
11 Aug 2018 03:19 #115875 by JohnnyCNC
I am almost done with my spindle motor conversion. I have a DYN4 1.8kw servo and I need to reverse the direction when M3 & M4 are issued. Right now M3 runs the spindle in reverse and M4 is forward. I thought there was a way using a negative value somewhere that would do it but I have been able to find it. I have tried making some of these config setting negative but did not achieve the desired result.

OUTPUT_MIN_LIMIT
OUTPUT_MAX_LIMIT
OUTPUT_SCALE
ENCODER_SCALE

I have a 5i25+7i76+7i83 using -5/+5 to control the DYN4 speed and direction.

Thanks
John

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Aug 2018 14:06 #115887 by PCW
Can you post your current hal and ini files?

More
11 Aug 2018 15:05 #115889 by JohnnyCNC
After some more searching I remembered that I saw that on Pncconf there was a "invert motor direction" check box. I created a dummy profile and that lead me to this:

MAX_OUTPUT = 3000.0
OUTPUT_MIN_LIMIT = -3000
OUTPUT_MAX_LIMIT = 3000
OUTPUT_SCALE = -3000
ENCODER_SCALE = 1

Which appeared to work but after one forward, stop, reverse test the drive appears to be dead. I have voltage going to the power and control inputs but the motor won't run. The tuning software will also not connect.

Thanks
John

More
16 Aug 2018 11:00 #116121 by andypugh
Did you solve this? It may be that the drive needs a braking resistor to handle spindle reversal.
Though it sounds like you might have found this out the hard way.

More
16 Aug 2018 11:56 #116128 by JohnnyCNC
Sort of. Tech support is sending a new drive. They never mentioned or asked about the braking resistor. This is what the manual says about it. I did see an overvolt alarm one time during previous testing.

Regenerative Resistor
The DIPM power module unit built into the DYN4 servo drive is designed with a very efficient bus voltage attenuation control circuit. It is much more efficient than conventional servo drives when handling servo motor regenerative energy. Generally, external regenerative resistors are not needed. If the servo drive often throws “Over Voltage“ alarm, contact DMM representative for custom regenerative energy sizing procedures.

I will asked them about the resistor before proceeding with the new drive. I am also going to ask them for recommended parameter settings when used as a spindle more. I have no need for the spindle to stop on a dime and be at requested speed in a millisecond. I was to have must softer starts and stops.

Should my OUTPUT_SCALE be set to -3000 or -6000?

Thank You
John

More
16 Aug 2018 12:10 #116129 by andypugh

Should my OUTPUT_SCALE be set to -3000 or -6000?

What is your spindle speed at a commanded 10V?
Use that number.

More
16 Aug 2018 12:43 #116134 by JohnnyCNC
Right now I'm testing just the motor on the bench. The motor's max RPM is 3000 and it does that at 5 volts. So is that where the 6000 came from? I think that came out of Pncconf.

For bench testing I set it up as if my spindle RPM would be 0 - 3000. After I install the motor with the belt drive 1:1.8 The spindle RPM will be 0 to 5400.

Thanks
John

More
16 Aug 2018 13:21 #116146 by andypugh
Use -5400 then, so you don't need to remember to change it.

Time to create page: 0.076 seconds