5 axis and LinuxCNC kinematics

More
28 Aug 2018 08:15 #116693 by mittim
Hi guys,

I´m from germany, so don´t be to hard on my english.:)

Right now I am planning a 5 axis machine with XYZAC (table is swinging and rotating).
After some discussions in german chats I was made aware of the "fact", that one needs TCPC/TCP to make simultaneous 5-axis jobs work. After some search I discoverd, that LinuxCNC offers kinematics. So now I am wondering, if kinematics does its job just like real TCP. B)

Would be cool to hear from someone, who already has kinematics on a 5-axis machine running!

Thanks,
Tim

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Aug 2018 16:17 #116782 by andypugh
You do not _need_ to use TCP for 5 axis work, it is possible to do the kinematics in the CAM system. Up to 9 axes can move in a coordinated way with LinuxCNC using any of the kinematics systems.

But if you want TCP, LinuxCNC does support it:
linuxcnc.org/docs/devel/html/motion/5-axis-kinematics.html

(Note that you don't need to understand the maths to use the kinematics modules)

More
29 Aug 2018 20:51 #116826 by mittim
Thanks for your reply.

Which CAM system does support TCP/kinematics? Is it some kind of postprocessor?

More
29 Aug 2018 22:12 #116830 by andypugh
I don't know for sure which CAM systems can do in-CAM TCP. They would need to know a lot about the machine to work properly, but it is possible.

I haven't even found a 4-axis TCP CAM that I can afford. (or, to be more accurate, that I want to afford) and so far have done 4-axis work mainly by hand.

Time to create page: 0.271 seconds