Feature req: Rotation of coordinate system

More
22 Sep 2018 06:07 #117861 by fixer
Hello,

I would like to try a different aproach on 4 and 5 axis kinematic transformation. In attachement you can see how they define working plane on Sinumerik. My idea is to make something similar to cycle800 on LinuxCNC. For this to work the first thing is to be able to apply rotation around every geometry axis, just as it is already possible to do around Z.

I don't have enough experience with the core of LCNC, so I am looking for someone to help me there.
I also have commissioning docs for Siemens, where one could get the general idea on how this should work.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Sep 2018 20:07 #117875 by cmorley
you would get better info on linuxcnc dev's IRC.
IIRC Chris Radek did the Z rotation.

He somewhat regrets adding it apparently so I wouldn't expect he would be interested doing more - but I'm sure he would give you hints if you wish to tackle it.
Also you could probably find the commits the the git repository.

Chris M

More
23 Sep 2018 08:30 #117893 by fixer
Why would he regret it? I found his commits on git, I will try to dig in.

I thin a lot of people would benefit from that, not only 5 axis machines and robots, but also simpler machines with manual tilting vertical/horizontal heads, even lathes with motorized tools,...

More
23 Sep 2018 09:35 #117894 by cmorley
again IIRC:
He doesn't think many use it use , it's hard to get right; so there are probably bugs lurking. Linuxcnc devs tend to be conservative. Stability, ease of maintaining over extra functionality

Chris M

More
26 Sep 2018 12:14 #117999 by andypugh

I thin a lot of people would benefit from that, not only 5 axis machines and robots, but also simpler machines with manual tilting vertical/horizontal heads, even lathes with motorized tools,...

I have a 4-axis mill with an extra manual head rotation.
I have considered using a 5-axis kins where one simply jogs / MDIs the B axis to suit the physical reality.
This would allow coordinated moves to drill angled holes etc.
Whether this is better than an arbitrary G10 rotation is open to debate.

Time to create page: 0.125 seconds