Recording Coordinates

More
24 Sep 2018 07:52 #117911 by BeachBum
Hi All,

Lately I have been running into issues where I might have to start my machine again after a period of time and I lose my workpiece origin. This is either because the code is so large it runs for several days and I dont have the time to monitor it or the computer crashes.

Is there a way of recording the last location relative to the origin so that I can start again using the same origin?? For instance my computer is part way through a code and crashes. Is there a way that I can record the location of the bit relative to the origin so that I can start the computer back up again and keep milling. As opposed to starting from scratch with a new bit of wood because I will never find the exact location again.

Many thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Sep 2018 09:08 #117912 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Recording Coordinates
If you have home switches and re-home when you power back up then all the coordinate references should carry through. Does that not work for you?
This should even work in the case of a crash, as the G54 offsets from the home switches ought to be stored. (though I wouldn't want to guarantee that)

If LinuxCNC exits normally then it can write the current position to a file.
linuxcnc.org/docs/2.7/html/config/ini-config.html#_traj_section (see POSITION_FILE). If you have that, and a machine that doesn't move when powered down, and you turn off mandatory homing (NO_FORCE_HOMING) then you can carry on where you left off.

Of the two options home-switches will be the more reliable.

More
25 Sep 2018 04:51 #117948 by BeachBum
Replied by BeachBum on topic Recording Coordinates
At the moment I don't have homing switches setup. I generally just jog to approximately the same spot and press home. Then I jog to the work piece corner (the "origin") and then start cnc'ing. If I was to have home switches, would the work piece origin be saved? so I would be able to restart the work?

I admit that I have just found a process that works for me without really understanding the details behind it.

More
25 Sep 2018 08:13 #117950 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Recording Coordinates
Yes, home switches will retain work coordinates through restarts. (and possibly through crashes)

Position_file and no-force-homing will retain position without home switches through restarts but not crashes.

Do you actually get crashes? If you do then that needs looking at. LinuxCNC is typically extremely reliable.

Another option: Leave the machine running unattended. Monitor it with a webcam and / or ssh.

I very often set the machine sunning and then go to my indoor computer
ssh -Y andypugh@mill.local
halcmd loadusr halmeter -s pin motion.program.line
Pops up a little window that increments while the program is running, and shows zero if finished or waiting for a tool change. It works with my Mac, with Linux and, with extra software, with Windows.

More
25 Sep 2018 08:24 #117951 by BeachBum
Replied by BeachBum on topic Recording Coordinates
Thank you very much. I didn't know that it would record it with homing switches. I'll setup up some home switches.

I had the computer freeze for an unknown reason (keyboard not working, then suddenly mouse not working and the router stopped. Never had it before but I don't want it to happen again and I lose half the work again.

More
25 Sep 2018 13:37 #117956 by clunc
Replied by clunc on topic Recording Coordinates
I have a whiteboard right behind me on which I record the correspondence between "absolute" XYZ coordinates and those of any relative-coordinate system origins of interest. (I don't use my home switches, because it takes so doggone long to get over to them and back...)

I have had occasion to use them after my rural utility company dropped power in broad daylight, which steeled my resolve.

Time to create page: 0.116 seconds