New to the community with a few questions.

More
30 Sep 2018 20:11 #118241 by KennyMcRae
Hi! I just found out about linuxcnc about a week ago and am quite interested. A newish laptop found its way into my hands and Im about to switch it over to Linux. I also started a new job 2 weeks ago turning large pump shafts on a 240" Toolmex lathe running a Fanuc 21i-TB control. The shop is currently using SurfCAM2001 to draw up 2D profiles and post Gcode which is then hand edited to include rough, finish and threading cycles before being loaded into the controller.

I feel like there is a better way to do this. I plan on using linuxcnc as a Gcode simulator at the very least, but I am curious as to its ability to take on a bigger role in the process.

Would anyone please be kind enough to let me know which forum I should be asking this in? Or any information that will point me in the right direction?

Thank you

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Sep 2018 21:20 #118242 by andypugh
LinuxCNC would fit in to that toolchain as a replacement for the Fanuc controller. So to be honest I don't think that it would make sense to swap to LinuxCNC.

It sounds like the CAM could be improved, but that isn't what LinuxCNC does.

More
30 Sep 2018 22:31 #118246 by KennyMcRae
Ok, thank you for clarifying that.

More
30 Sep 2018 23:42 #118256 by KennyMcRae
Would you recommend linuxcnc as a simulator for G code? To prove out programs before running them?

More
30 Sep 2018 23:46 #118259 by andypugh
Possibly. I think that LinuxCNC is probably close enough to Fanuc to give the same results, and it does not sound like your current CAM system is using G71, G72 or subroutines.

To run as a simulator you don't need to worry about having a realtime kernel, so you should be able to just get the "uspace" version of LinuxCNC and run it.

Time to create page: 0.254 seconds