Lost Step Counter

More
15 Jun 2021 02:59 #212088 by Jeff_in_Wa
Replied by Jeff_in_Wa on topic Lost Step Counter
Thank you. I tried replacing axis with joints in both the miss_step code and the postgui.hal connections and kept getting errors. I will try it again.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Jun 2021 03:24 #212090 by Jeff_in_Wa
Well, I tried changing 'axis' in miss_step to joint on both lines above

Then I changed these lines as follows in the custom_postgui.hal

net check0 miss_step.joint.0.pos-cmd axis.x.pos-cmd
net Xpos miss_step.joint.0.motor-pos-cmd

If I change axis.x.pos-cmd to joint.x.pos-cmd, I get an error stating that pin is not found

With the code as above, when I home the machine, I get a message box showing where X is. Perfect. When I jog, the machine takes off in whatever direction I first jog and the message box keeps coming up. I have to hit the e stop to stop the jog

More
15 Jun 2021 05:38 #212099 by BeagleBrainz
Replied by BeagleBrainz on topic Lost Step Counter
Joint pins are here:
linuxcnc.org/docs/2.8/html/man/man9/motion.9.html#JOINT%20PINS

Axis Pins are here:
linuxcnc.org/docs/2.8/html/man/man9/motion.9.html#AXIS%20PINS

If you read the whole thread of the miss step counter it does later on deal with joints.

But during a program run unless you have feedback from the actual stepper motor, as in a closed loop step system, you wont be able to detect lost steps until they accumulate to such an extent that you notice.

Have you gone through and checking that the axes are in the same plane & parallel. Another thing that comes to mind, if the backlash is different on each axis this could cause issues as well.

More
16 Jun 2021 22:19 #212228 by Jeff_in_Wa
Thanks. I have checked this system for two months now. It is square, true, smooth on all axis's. I believe at this point, I have decided I must have bad stepper drivers. I ordered a new set from Leadshine. It never occurred to me that maybe I've got Chinese knock offs.

I will leave this thread as closed for me. Thanks for the assistance.

More
18 Jun 2021 15:10 #212333 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Lost Step Counter

But during a program run unless you have feedback from the actual stepper motor, as in a closed loop step system, you wont be able to detect lost steps until they accumulate to such an extent that you notice.

The idea was to use the homing routine to detect lost steps.

I don't know why the setup was causing jog problems, but I suspect it is to do with creating new signals to net already-used pins.

Time to create page: 0.080 seconds