How to update from GIT

More
18 Oct 2018 16:21 #119001 by islander261
Hello

I am currently running my plasma cutter using the external offsets branch. I use this branch so my DRO follows the Z axis motion when automated torch height control is used. Last updated in July, sorry I don't know how to find the commit number in my installation. Many thanks to Dewey for the concise instructions for building and installing this branch to run using RIP. I certainly would not have been successful at doing this on my own. Does anyone know where to find clear non programmer instructions for using GIT?

I create wall and yard art pieces with my plasma cutter. All pieces have many compound curves including ones that don't join with perfect mating tangents. I have had a lot of trouble with the TP problem as described by issues #426 and #447. I can isolate Gcode and the resulting cuts still have the pause and resulting "divot". Yesterday I was told of pull request #509 which appears to me to address this problem. My problem is I don't know how to get and incorporate this code into my installation, note I am not a programmer. Do I need to wait for this code to be incorporated into the master and external offsets branches or is there a way for a non programmer to just switch out source files and rebuild the code the way I previously have? Thanks in advance for any help, I realize that basic programming and Linux building instruction is beyond the usual scope here.

John

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Oct 2018 00:45 #119040 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic How to update from GIT
I have had a look in to this, and got stuck with a patch that wouldn't take.

I might get time to try again tomorrow.

I am seriously considering merging external-offsets in to master. I have tested it a lot, and it takes cleanly and passes tests.
The following user(s) said Thank You: islander261

More
19 Oct 2018 15:01 #119076 by islander261
Replied by islander261 on topic How to update from GIT
Andy

Thank you for trying, I wouldn't of stood a chance of making it work on my own.

John

More
20 Oct 2018 01:16 #119098 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic How to update from GIT
Andy,

I was excited to see all of the activity with master branch. Thanks for making stuff happen

The three things that need to make it to master for plasma guys are:
1. External offsets
2. Reverse Run
3. Blend tangent fallback (Issue 509) github.com/LinuxCNC/linuxcnc/pull/509

People like John and I don't understand is the finer points of git. What John would like to do is apply the commits for item 3 to his system so he can patch his system as that bug is really causing him some grief!

More
20 Oct 2018 19:58 #119135 by Grotius
Replied by Grotius on topic How to update from GIT
Hi Rodw,

You know all of the 3 item's are merged into my linuxcnc version already. The reprository is privat at the moment.
You can't merge this version's automaticly to master with git. It is a hand made done. It will take you a lot of time.

@Islander,

Does anyone know where to find clear non programmer instructions for using GIT

I can help you. First make a account on github. Then tell me what you want to do. Maybe i can do teamviewer with you
to let you see how it works.

More
20 Oct 2018 20:14 #119136 by rodw
Grotius, thanks. All three of the items above have been proposed to get pushed to master. I'm certain items 1 & 3 will make it. I just hope the devs don't forget about Reverse run. I was hoping Andy would see my post and push things along with the dev team. We need all of those features to be in the mainstream distribution branches.

More
20 Oct 2018 20:35 #119138 by Grotius
Replied by Grotius on topic How to update from GIT
Hi Rodw,

About some peptalk :

Reverse run is very, very important to merge into master branche.

Capabilities of reverse run are very strong. They give the user extra power when the machine is running.
For example. When plasma arc fail's you can go back in time for 2 second's and start again on your pat'h.
This is one example of how i use reverse run. Mr. Morley has to modify the glade speed widget, don't forget about
that. I did that already.
It gives linuxcnc a boost in relation to other software application's.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw

More
20 Oct 2018 22:29 #119146 by andypugh

Thank you for trying, I wouldn't of stood a chance of making it work on my own.

I managed to create a patch that seems to work.

Save the attached file in your linuxcnc-dev/src folder.

Then use this command to apply it:
git am 0037-TP-patch-for-external-offsets.patch

You should then be able to use
make
to recompile your external-offsets branch.
Attachments:

More
20 Oct 2018 22:40 #119147 by rodw
Andy, very nice work thanks.

John, be sure to report back that this resolves your problem so the devs are made aware that it works! That way it might get into the LinuxCNC core.

So now Andy, your mission if you choose to accept it, is to extend the patch to include the reverse run feature..... hope I'm not asking too much...

More
20 Oct 2018 22:43 #119148 by andypugh
It is seeming very likely that external-offsets and reverse-run will be merged into master pretty soon, and then the TP fix will go in on top.
The following user(s) said Thank You: joekline9, rodw

Time to create page: 0.168 seconds