Program starts upon loading

More
22 Oct 2018 00:07 #119184 by JohnnyCNC
I had a problem today where I was making some parts. Made a change to the part model in Fusion 360, posted a new NGC file with a different name than the one I had just run, loaded the file and the mill immediately started running as if I had pressed cycle start. I have had this happen before. I don't know if it is something I am doing, a bug, or something else. I do manual tool changes so each operation is in a separate file. Today I was making a lot of changes to my files using the process described above. No really problem but a bit scary when the machine a few feet away starts unexpectedly.

Thanks
John

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Oct 2018 03:26 #119190 by cmorley
Replied by cmorley on topic Program starts upon loading
It sound pretty scary!
We would need a lot more information about your system to even begin to help diagnose.

What version of linuxcnc?
what screen GUI do you use?
Do you use mechanical buttons for say cycle start?
maybe post your config files?

Chris M

More
22 Oct 2018 10:50 #119198 by JohnnyCNC
Sorry, I meant to mention that.
LinuxCNC 2.7.14 using Axis.

I use a VistaCNC iMach P4-SE

It is pretty rare when it happens and I do not have the pendant in my hand at the time. I am sitting at my desk using the mouse to pick the file to load. Although saying all this make me suspect the pendant the most.

More
22 Oct 2018 21:13 #119223 by cmorley
That would be where I would start.
Can you run the machine without the pendant connected for some time to see if that isolates the problem?

Chris M

More
22 Oct 2018 21:46 #119225 by JohnnyCNC
I could but it would be a lot harder to get anything done. Jogging in particular. Since I can't make it happen on demand and the previous time this happened was probably 6~8 months ago how long would I have to wait to say "yeah that was it". I think my only choice is to find the pins that is uses to start the program from the pendant and watch them with the HAL meter to see how it works when working properly and then the next time it happens check the pins again and figure out what is going wrong. I do have trouble when the air is dry like it's getting now where the pendant loses its connection with the PC. I wonder if there is a Linux version of Wireshark I could use to monitor the USB communication between the pendant and Linux box to see if garbled messages are being sent. I think I'll check with VistaCNC and see what they have to say.

John

Just wanted to make sure there was no feature or setting that could cause this to happen in the event there is a situation where you would want an "auto-start"

More
23 Oct 2018 01:14 #119231 by cmorley
There are no linuxcnc settings for autorun on loading.

Is it a wireless pendant?
is It a wireless mouse?

I remember having a wireless mouse that would creep depending where it was or what was around it.

Good luck - hope you find it.
Chris M

More
23 Oct 2018 01:42 #119235 by JohnnyCNC

There are no linuxcnc settings for autorun on loading.

Is it a wireless pendant?
is It a wireless mouse?

I remember having a wireless mouse that would creep depending where it was or what was around it.

Good luck - hope you find it.
Chris M

I didn't think so but I'm only 10 months into this so there is a lot I don't know.

It is a USB pendant with a hardwired E-Stop button.

The mouse is wireless but the cursor is about 8 inches from the start button when I click on OK after selecting the file to load. As soon as I click OK the spindle and motion starts. I sent and email to VistaCNC to see what they say.

Thanks
John

Time to create page: 0.130 seconds