Need some ideas on how to set up a home built OD/can grinder

More
30 Oct 2018 17:37 #119649 by markd
I know this is an unusual machine. The requirement is to be able to have the work head (spindle) tied to the X axis (position mode) and run at a selected rpm for OD grinding. In reading some of the posts the mux command that was used for A axis seems to be what is needed I think.

Would this be described as a spindle A or C axis?

I would also need to have a U and W axis for the programmable wheel dresser. The position data from the dresser would need to be used to modify the X and Z offsets.

This is a small stepper (Nema 23) driven machine for use on model engines. The dresser is mounted to the rear of the wheel head and can move in the X and Z machine axis.

Any ideas or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks MarkD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Oct 2018 11:03 #119696 by andypugh
Is the plan to rotate the spindle at constant speed and move the X axis slaved to that angle?

Be aware that the trigonometry gets fairly involved as the contact point between work and wheel moves up and down, and the tangent angle swings above and below vertical.

I have done some experimentation with this concept.

Moving the C and X axes together as coordinated moves it probably somewhat easier.

More
31 Oct 2018 13:45 #119709 by markd
Thanks Andy

I have found a program that generates the G code to grind the cam profile. My idea is to grind the bearing journals in spindle mode and switch to C axis mode to grind the cam profiles.
A bigger problem maybe to modify the wheel offsets based on the wheel dresser.
Any thoughts on this?

More
31 Oct 2018 15:42 #119714 by andypugh
The mathematics that I worked out for my stuff automatically compensates for changes in wheel diameter (It isn't a simple offset, it moves the contact point up and down too).

I think that there is quite a lot to be said for calculating the positions on-the-fly. This could be using "external-offsets" which is an experimental branch of linuxCNC (But one that I hope will be introduced before 2.8 is released) or in a custom kinematics module.

But it can definitely all be done, the rest is just implementation details.

More
06 Nov 2018 13:27 #120101 by markd
Ok my first problem is that I have not correctly addressed the enable command on the work head which is a stepper. Please find the hal and ini files and photos of the work head.
Can someone look at the files to see what I did wrong.
Attachments:

More
06 Nov 2018 13:33 #120102 by markd
The Photo was skipped
Attachments:

More
06 Nov 2018 16:12 #120106 by andypugh
I think it skipped the files too, they both seem to be 0 bytes.

Does the workhead stepper lock when the system is enabled?

More
06 Nov 2018 16:38 #120107 by markd
I will try again. I did not mention it before that I am using a 5 axis bob with the work head on the A axis.
Attachments:

More
06 Nov 2018 21:22 #120118 by rodw
Most stepper drivers include an enable connection. What is rarely made clear is that by applying a voltage here, you are actually disabling the stepper, not enabling it. So if you have connected a wire to this signal, try removing it.

More
06 Nov 2018 21:30 #120119 by markd
Thank you for the reply.
The stepper is wired the same as the X and Z steppers which work.
When I use the unaltered config files (which sets the work head up as a Aaxis it works fine. The enable pin is the same for all of the axis.

Time to create page: 0.110 seconds