Home settings for mill Z axis

More
01 Nov 2018 00:29 #119740 by vmihalca
Hi guys,

I am configuring my Syil X7 mill with Mesa 7i76e.
I have configured limits for X and Y but for Z I can't managed to do what I want.
My Z travel is 400mm, I have two limit switches, but I wanna use the positive one as home & limit switch.

I have set
Positive travel distance (Machine zero Origin to the end of + travel) = 0.0
Negative travel distance (Machine zero Origin to the end of - travel) = -400.0
Home position location (offset from machine zero origin) = 200.0
Home switch location (offset from machine zero origin) = 0.0
Home search direction: Towards positive limit
Home latch direction: Same

What happens is that the Z axis goes up, it hits the switch, stops for a bit then instead of going down, it keeps going up until it faults the driver.
Any idea what should be the settings here?
I'm missing something out with these values!

Thanks,
Vasi

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Nov 2018 08:54 #119752 by Clive S

Hi guys,
My Z travel is 400mm, I have two limit switches, but I wanna use the positive one as home & limit switch.

I have set
Positive travel distance (Machine zero Origin to the end of + travel) = 0.0
Negative travel distance (Machine zero Origin to the end of - travel) = -400.0
Home position location (offset from machine zero origin) = 200.0
Home switch location (offset from machine zero origin) = 0.0
Home search direction: Towards positive limit
Home latch direction: Same

What happens is that the Z axis goes up, it hits the switch, stops for a bit then instead of going down, it keeps going up until it faults the driver.

Vasi

You have " Home position location (offset from machine zero origin) = 200.0 " this is going past the switch going up

MIN_LIMIT = -400.0
MAX_LIMIT = 0.001
HOME_OFFSET = -200 (or anything -Ve)
HOME_SEARCH_VEL = +ve value
HOME_LATCH_VEL = -ve value

I personally don't think you need a limit at the bottom of Z

More
01 Nov 2018 23:06 #119794 by vmihalca
Hello,
Thanks, it worked.
Any idea how can I set some soft limits? If I jog and I endup hitting a limit switch, linuxcnc shows an error on that joing so I need to comment the input for that limit switch in the hal file and only after that I can jog back in the oposite direction.
Or is there a way to allow jogging only in the oposite direction of a switch once it was tripped?
Thanks! :)

More
01 Nov 2018 23:26 #119797 by JohnnyCNC
This is how my X axis limits are set. IIRC these fall inside of the limit switch distance. I have about 19.8 inches of X travel.

I use inches
MIN_LIMIT = -0.001
MAX_LIMIT = 19.7

From the manual:

MIN_LIMIT = -1000 - The minimum limit for axis motion, in machine units. When this limit is reached, the controller aborts axis motion. The axis must be homed before MIN_LIMIT is in force. For a rotary axis with unlimited rotation having no MIN_LIMIT for that axis in the [AXIS_n] section then the value -1e99 is used.

MAX_LIMIT = 1000 - The maximum limit for axis motion, in machine units. When this limit is reached, the controller aborts axis motion. The axis must be homed before MAX_LIMIT is in force. For a rotary axis with unlimited rotation having no MAX_LIMIT for that axis in the [AXIS_n] section then the value 1e99 is used.

More
03 Nov 2018 15:35 #119865 by andypugh

Hello,
Thanks, it worked.
Any idea how can I set some soft limits?

The MAX_LIMIT and MIN_LIMIT should do that.
You probably need to set the HOME_OFFSET to a small positive number to keep jogs off the switch.

A previous post has HOME_POSITION as -200. I think that is a bad idea with a Z axis.

More
03 Nov 2018 18:13 #119873 by Clive S

A previous post has HOME_POSITION as -200. I think that is a bad idea with a Z axis.

I agree, but from his first post he seemed to want the home offset half way down the Z axis

Time to create page: 0.141 seconds