C axis limit

More
08 Nov 2018 23:37 #120299 by An
C axis limit was created by An
Hi everyone, I have a question regarding the limits on rotational axis. There is a comprehensive thread on here regarding setting the c axis to be switched from position to velocity control but it doesn’t address if there is a way to use c axis in position mode and turn it indefinitely. I think andypugh gave a theoretical max rotation of 10 ^308 in that thread but then the thread moves to switching between pos and Vel. For my concept I require the c and possibly a axis to be rotated in position control a large number of times (nothing like 10^308 but a lot more than 10^7). Does anyone know if this is achievable without heading into source code territory? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Anthony :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Nov 2018 06:49 #120312 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic C axis limit
Never used it, bur search for "wraparound", it should be in the ini file, and i think that is exactly what you need.

More
09 Nov 2018 18:46 #120344 by An
Replied by An on topic C axis limit
Thanks for the reply. I had a quick search and there doesn’t seem to be a lot of information about wraparound - has anybody used this successfully? If so I would love to hear how it worked for you... At this stage im just trying to figure out if my unique configuration of machine is plausible to be run with linuxcnc (definitely possible but at what level of difficulty).

Thanks
Anthony

More
09 Nov 2018 22:27 #120360 by Badger
Replied by Badger on topic C axis limit
Can you provide a brief description of the device you are working on and what you want the rotary axis to accomplish.

More
10 Nov 2018 08:47 #120376 by cmorley
Replied by cmorley on topic C axis limit
linuxcnc.org/docs/2.7/html/config/ini-config.html

WRAPPED_ROTARY = 1 - When this is set to 1 for an ANGULAR axis the axis will move 0-359.999 degrees. Positive Numbers will move the axis in a positive direction and negative numbers will move the axis in the negative direction.

Yes it was written for a machine used in a manufacturing shop.

Chris M

More
10 Nov 2018 22:56 #120427 by An
Replied by An on topic C axis limit
Thanks for the replies guys. A description of the machine.

In my former job as a mech engineer for a motor design company we had access to a motor pole winder that was a custom machine running a Siemens 840d controller. This has 5axis sim motion and the winding axis would be used in incremental mode to wind a helix of whatever pitch you wanted. The motor pole I want to wind requires a different set up. imagine a shaft mounted off center on a rotating disc with a linear axis attached to the end - the disc /shaft /linear axis move together on the x axis while the rotating linear axis would have its linear position controlled by the y/z axis transformed appropriately depending on the c axis position. I am thinking that I can use one of the standard kins to achieve this without too much modification?! The machine will not go too fast as the dynamics are pretty bad but it doesn’t need to at this stage. I need the c axis to rotate a lot and be position controlled to couple it with the other axis and rotation of the pole itself is not an option. I have very limited knowledge about this stuff so really looking to the generosity of the experts on here to see if this is possible and at what level of difficulty. If it looks like it will be a nightmare for me and simple for someone here I would happily engage them as a consultant.

Thanks
Anthony

More
11 Nov 2018 12:23 #120440 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic C axis limit
A sketch would help, a scribble or whatever.
As Cmorley said, you have the posibility to turn 1000 times in negative and 1000 times in positive direction, so technically 2000 windings. That should be enough for any type of motor, except for very small very high voltage ones.

More
13 Nov 2018 13:54 #120541 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic C axis limit
You can set the limits in the INI to higher numbers than your machine can wind in the remaining life of the universe.
Just use really big limits.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

Time to create page: 0.089 seconds