How to allow manual operation of one or more axes?

More
12 Dec 2018 18:18 - 20 Dec 2018 18:59 #122289 by BigBird
I am adding CNC capability to my mill, one axis at a time. At the moment I only have a motor drive on the X-axis. When I machine the Y-axis hardware, I would like Linuxcnc to drive the X-axis while I operate the Y and Z axis manually. I believe this can be done via G code, but I was wondering if there was another way either in HSM or in Linuxcnc to drive an axis manually. Ideally, I would like the program to pause with a message, much like the tool change dialog box, and instruct me to advance the Y-axis by, say 3mm. Any ideas on this?

Thanks in advance for your help,
Doug
Last edit: 20 Dec 2018 18:59 by BigBird. Reason: Added ? to Subject line to indicate this is a question not a solution

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Dec 2018 16:40 #122577 by Todd Zuercher
Not sure exactly what you want, but it is possible to program your G-code to pop up a message box on your display saying what ever you'd like.
linuxcnc.org/docs/html/gcode/overview.html#gcode:messages
and then program a M0 pause.

But to have the g-code automatically do such things when an axis move is to be made is not possible.

More
18 Dec 2018 17:59 #122579 by BigBird
Todd,

Thank you for your response. You answered my question.

I will edit the G Code so that one axis is under LinuxCNC's control and, via messages and pauses, Y and Z will be under manual control.

Doug

More
19 Dec 2018 16:04 #122600 by pl7i92
this behavior is like the THCUP Module
YOU Can do this by interfearing the Loopback with a Button and move Axis Manuell while operating Auto Mode on Others

More
19 Dec 2018 19:43 #122607 by BigBird
Thanks pl7i92, but I don't understand what you said. I'll just modify the G code.

More
23 Dec 2018 18:52 #122790 by andypugh
You could write a custom HAL component that monitored the Y and Z command outputs and and gave you a message box.

Or, you could make the F-ERROR limits really big and open a couple of Halmeters that showed the Y and Z position commands at all times.

More
29 Dec 2018 02:18 #123043 by BigBird
Thank you Andy. I will investigate those options.

More
29 Dec 2018 15:32 #123087 by pl7i92
can you tell us here
What is the Benefit to you to get this working
maybe a Tilted Table or simply to many load on the Tool

You can reduce speed by pressing 1-9 standard keyboard during RUN
or make more steps in postprocess
or EVEN you may know you can start almost every code line after break by Right Mouse Click on the line
(( it reads as many lines Back to get a good Start NOT the M3 USE manuell for that))

More
30 Dec 2018 20:09 #123169 by BigBird
pl7i92,
I am setting up a 3 axis milling machine. Right now, I only have an X-axis table drive servo motor with an encoder. I would like to use that motor to drive the table for simple facing and profile milling operations. The Y and Z axis would be adjusted manually. Obviously, this is not a good way to do complex milling operations, but it can save a lot of hand cranking the X-axis when doing simple milling jobs.

Ideally, I would like LinuxCNC to drive the X-axis and then tell me when to advance to the next Y-axis or Z-axis setting. I would like to use this arrangement when I make the hardware (brackets & adapters) required for the Y & Z axis. After all three axis are under LinuxCNC's control, I would no longer need to do this.

It appears a good way to do this is to insert pauses in the G Code whenever a change to either Y or Z is needed.

More
01 Jan 2019 21:36 #123291 by Leon82
That's what I would do.

Am m0 and comment the manual move needed then hit start

Time to create page: 0.123 seconds