Could Linux CNC reasonably be made to work in a prototrak type mill?

More
15 Dec 2018 00:07 #122432 by Doug Crews
I’ll speak to the Utility of the TRAK DPM bed mill. I’ve used them at various shops for years. For one- off simple parts or general toolroom activities they are very very well done machines. It’s one of those things that you can’t really explain to people who have never used one. It’s like having a VMC with a manual mill spindle head. They have the quill and z-axis scales combined so once you set Z zero you can move the quill and the z-axis with one readout. Also, as mentioned earlier you can go from manual DRO mode to CNC without losing your zero set points.

I’ve been holding off for years saying I would not turn my good manual mill into lame CNC…BUT…If I could have my manual mill mimic what a TRAK does…YES, I’m pretty sure I’m going to do it. For production I’ll look at a small VMC with tool changer, flood coolant..enclosure..etc

For my retrofit I’m going to attempt to have z-axis on the knee and leave the quill as is except for a combined scale with the knee like the TRAK has. I have some Kollmorgen nema 34 motors and drives I want to use. The Knee may require a gearhead…

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Dec 2018 12:22 #122441 by andypugh

I also would recommend fold up safety hand wheels over the stock handles and spend the time balancing them!

The Bridgeport at work has some cool safety handles, you need to twist the handle part to engage the hub with the screw. This happens naturally as you are cranking, but it took me ages to work it out.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.119 seconds