Tool change

More
13 Dec 2018 07:31 #122355 by Kiddekanin
Hi all

Finally I got my machine up and running! its been a reel struggle.. (If you wanna read about it, the long story is at the bottom.)

So my question is, hence I find this Linux a bit confusing since I might be missing some key elements, I am but a mere mechanical engineer:

What do I do/can i do: to my screen setup after the config set up? The machine responds to my commands but I find the interface screen boring, and far to simple to my taste. Tabs: Probing ect.... a bit more like mach3 style would suit me

I have not yet found a good tutorial (or I might be missing a big clue) on how to incorporate some of the screens from python or eny other more BLING screens. I have seen them in the ehmm ehhh the thing where you can preview "gmokapy" "pVcP" "plasma" ect. but I have no idea how to make these my "own" Ive seen a lot of youtube content, but I think that this topic is somewhat second nature to them hence they skip right over that part.

I do not intend to program and write allot of code (but I still hope that linux cnc is for me enyway)

I recently bought a 3040 benchtop router machine from a work college. Right of the bat it was a hard time finding and installing motion drivers, finding the right settings ect... but I managed to get it done using my google skills :)
The first couple of days all went well, I did not have that much time in the workshop so I didnt have the time to push the machine.. The weekend showed up :D "CNC TIME"... after playing with the machine for a longer period some odd situations occurred. i reffed all home in G54 made a offset to G55 and startet working here.. suddenly the machine had no idea as to where it was. it overshot the travel, coudnt find home/go zero and kept hitting the limits... By the way, this was in mach3 hence the machine had an usb interface ( later i learned that i was a clone of something else, wich i conclude to be the big glitch)
after powered up for more that 60 minutes, demo mode, full licence, a different verison ect.. the machine would do X205 given the command g0 x200 so it overshot 5mm. It would do fine up to 55min.. mach would show 205 on the dro when given the command 200... right from the first time I got the order, I started to source for a paralal BOB and regulater drivers..
I thought that i somehow sortet the issue, so I canceled my order for the drivers, only to realise that the error was still there... Back to ordering the drives....

I made my goodbyes with the USB controller box. I gutted the box, sourcing the elements that i would need for the "new" setup..
Doug out the old computer and installed Linux. Rigged all the controls up in a wonderful mess......

"There is nothing more permanent than an temporary solution"

Startet linux up, put in all the configs -> RUN Tadaaaa..... OHHH SNAP....... no parport... WTF........ Then it hit me that I had disabled it in the BIOS prior to my boot from USB settings.... Enable the parport...

And just like putting the USB plug in right the first time.. It worked right away.......spindle PWM, Estop, the works.... (OK i had to swap the Y axis driver for the X...)

Enyhow I now got a working CNC that follows my commands.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Dec 2018 12:16 #122365 by tommylight
Start Linuxcnc from the menu, there are plenty of choices under SIM that you can choose from and see if you like it, then go to the folder where your working config is (usually /home/user_name/linuxcnc/configs/your_config_name), there is only 1 file with the extension .ini, open it with a text editor, under the DISPLAY section there is an entry DISPLAY = axis, change axis to touchy or gmoccapy or gscreen or....
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kiddekanin

More
13 Dec 2018 18:06 #122379 by bevins
Open your ini file. At near the top of the file look for = axis replace axis with gmoccapy.

Resart linuxcnc for some gui eye candy.

More
14 Dec 2018 10:25 #122412 by Kiddekanin
Found the missing link...
linuxcnc.org/docs/html/gui/

After reading this (read the #%%¤ manual) it all makes more sence.

Thanks for the Inputs humans/earth enhabitants (nowadays you need to include all and not assume enything ;) ).

I will return if further hickups appear :)

More
09 May 2019 19:33 #133275 by Kiddekanin
Hi again

Is there an easy way to be able to monitor and remotedesktop control the linux machine and the cnc machine(webcam) in my home office network?

More
09 May 2019 19:48 #133278 by andypugh
There are lots of options.

One thing I very often do on my Mac (obviously this will also work with linux) is to type
ssh -Y andypugh@harrison.local
halcmd loadusr halmeter pin motion.program-line
That pops up a little window that handily shows 0 if the program is finished or waiting for a tool change.

All built-in to both OSs.

More
09 May 2019 20:03 #133280 by Kiddekanin
Hi andy, just went through all you youtube clips, do i remember wrong, or did you not have a small snipit where you butcher on old webcam to be able to see the machine from a remote location ?

is there an fairly easy option for remotely logging on the machine GUI wise, and not terminal based ? I found xrdp on google that should work with microsoft remote desktop? I will try to see where that gets me :S
(then i guess i just need to install a webcam viewer on the linux machine and Im good to go ?

More
09 May 2019 20:23 #133283 by andypugh
I have a webcam in my 3D printer, for use with Octoprint.
I wouldn’t bet against the possibility of using octoprint with a CNC.

What is your “indoors” PC?

If you replace the “halcmd....” line above with “linuxcnc” then you can run the whole GUI remotely. Potentially with an embedded webcam tab.

I am not sure I would want to, though. Do you plan on wiring a remote hardware E-stop?

More
09 May 2019 20:49 #133289 by Kiddekanin
OK.
The indoor or office pc is a win10 laptop

I often do some long hours engraving programs (all wood) that runs unattended, while I'm busy at the office pc. There fore i would like the possibility to be able to monitor the machine and also the linuxCNC from the win10 machine. (fully aware of all the safety violations regarding E-stop)

like this:
ssh -Y This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
linuxcnc

More
09 May 2019 21:01 #133294 by Todd Zuercher
There are a number of ways one of the simplest is to use a remote desktop app like VNC to remotely log in and veiw and or control the Linuxcnc PC.

Time to create page: 0.163 seconds