Odd question for my old machine

More
27 Dec 2018 11:45 #122951 by snoozer77
Added some pics for clarity.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Dec 2018 13:43 #122956 by hatch789

Hi Hatch. In Fusion, if you change your spindle speed, your cutting feedrate stay's the same, but your feed per tooth will increase. You need to change your feed per tooth to the value you require, then your cutting feedrate will come down. This is a cam setting, not a linuxcnc one, as Tommy said. Hope this helps. Matt

OK So in F360 when I saw the "Surface Speed" reduce by over 3x because I dropped the spindle speed. I thought that was my CAM program saying "OK we need to move the table slower now to accommodate the slower spindle speed!" -But maybe I was wrong.

I'm at work right now but I will get some pics for you tonight when I'm home. If I'm understanding you properly, will I actually see a difference in the F codes when my CAM picks things up properly and adjusts for my spindle speed?

More
27 Dec 2018 14:15 #122959 by snoozer77
Yes, f values will change. I use a large machine with slow spindle speeds (1800 max). I find that good results can still be obtained using slower surface speed, if the correct feed per tooth is programmed. Saying that, would love to have a nice high speed spindle on her to get the small jobs done that little bit quicker.

More
27 Dec 2018 16:07 #122960 by hatch789
Maybe I have something wrong with my CAM Setup in F360 then? I will try to get some pics for you guys and help you see what's happening. I do see it changing the "Surface Speed" but maybe that's not enough? You're saying that I should see it change the F codes in my .ngc file?

More
27 Dec 2018 16:46 #122961 by Todd Zuercher
Maybe you are confusing the difference between "surface speed" and "cutting feed rate".

"Surface Speed" is simply the circumference of your cutter times the rpm, and has nothing to do with how fast the tool is moved when cutting, just how fast it is spinning.

"Cutting feed rate" is the speed that the tool is moved around. (this is set by the F code in the G-code)

More
27 Dec 2018 19:46 #122968 by snoozer77
I think Todd may be on to something. The feeds and speeds are as he explains. 2 different things that need to work together. In your first post you mention letting fusion choose your feeds and speeds. Fusion doesnt actually choose anything. It has sample tools with default feeds and speeds, but for best results, you need to modify them to the values reccomended by the tooling manufacturer (as a starting value), to suit your machine, machining conditions and material you are using. Most tooling catalogues have alot of useful information regarding this. When i started with fusion, i watched NYCCNC's you tube channel. He also has alot of general machining info as well as fusion tutorials. Good luck. Matt

More
30 Dec 2018 11:21 #123140 by andypugh

Yes, f values will change. I use a large machine with slow spindle speeds (1800 max). I find that good results can still be obtained using slower surface speed, if the correct feed per tooth is programmed. Saying that, would love to have a nice high speed spindle on her to get the small jobs done that little bit quicker.

1800 rpm? Luxury! my mill tops out at 1200rpm.

So I made this . perhaps something similar would work for you?

More
31 Dec 2018 15:58 #123217 by snoozer77
Hahaha, that makes me feel better Andy. Im sub'd to your youtube chanel, thought that was something that i might be able to do if we ever needed the high RPM. We have got a BT50 spindle speed increaser with 1:4 ratio, which works well enough for small end mills that can use a bit more surface speed. Its a large 6m bed mill that isnt really designed for high speed small stuff, but every now and then, we get a large job that needs small slots and things. Your spindle setup would probably come in handy. What do you think of it (quality, power)after having it for a little while now?

More
02 Jan 2019 12:20 #123316 by andypugh

What do you think of it (quality, power)after having it for a little while now?

So far I have only really used it for engraving, so haven’t really pushed it

Time to create page: 0.098 seconds