LinuxCNC Freezing

More
16 Oct 2019 15:27 #147998 by BigBird
Replied by BigBird on topic LinuxCNC Freezing
I had to put my LinuxCNC project on hold for quite a while, but I'm able to get back to work on it now. Unfortunately, I never did get Preempt-RT kernel (4.19.10-rt8) installed and my Ryzen system is still not functioning reliably with LinuxCNC.

I used the Qt Online Installer for Linux (32-bit) available at www.qt.io to install Qt5 under /home/linuxcnc. Then I followed PCW's instructions but when I get to "make xconfig" the following messages appear:

* Could not find Qt via pkg-config.
* Please install either Qt 4.8 or 5.x. and make sure it's in PKG_CONFIG_PATH
make[1]: *** [scripts/kconfig/.qconf-cfg] Error 1
make: *** [xconfig] Error 2

I get the same error message if I set PKG_CONFIG_PATH to

/home/linuxcnc
/home/linuxcnc/Qt
/home/linuxcnc/Qt/5.5
/home/linuxcnc/Qt/5.5/gcc
/home/linuxcnc/Qt/5.5/gcc/bin

I assume xconfig wants to run qmake which is in the bin file. Is there a different file I should be pointing to? Any ideas on how I can get to the next step in PCW's instructions?

Thanks!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Oct 2019 15:33 #148000 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic LinuxCNC Freezing
Why are you installing QT in a Linuxcnc folder ?

More
16 Oct 2019 16:06 - 17 Oct 2019 01:15 #148005 by BigBird
I don't believe I specified a location for it when I used the Qt online installer so I'm not sure why it showed up there. Maybe I was in the folder called linuxcnc when I ran the installer so it added it as a subfolder. Is it supposed to be in a specific folder?

It seemed to me that as long as PKG_CONFIG_PATH provided Qt's path to xconfig, it didn't matter where it was installed. Or am I missing something?

UPDATE: The path was suggested by the Qt installer and I accepted it. The installer was in the linuxcnc folder so it just added the Qt folder as a sub folder to linuxcnc.

UPDATE 1: After installing Qt5.5 in /opt/Qt I entered the following:

export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/opt/Qt/5.5/gcc/lib/pkgconfig

and that took care of the "Could not find Qt via pkg-config".

Then I added the following to /etc/apt/sources.list:

deb archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ trusty main restricted universe multiverse
deb archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ trusty-security main restricted universe mult$
deb archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ trusty-updates main restricted universe multi$
deb archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ trusty-proposed main restricted universe mult$
deb archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ trusty-backports main restricted universe mul$

to install flex and bison. After that, I got some more errors that looked like this:

HOSTLD scripts/kconfig/qconf
/usr/bin/ld: warning: libicui18n.so.54, needed by /opt/Qt/5.5/gcc/lib/libQt5Core.so, not found (try using -rpath or -rpath-link)

which I think caused a whole bunch of errors like this:

/opt/Qt/5.5/gcc/lib/libQt5Core.so: undefined reference to `ucnv_countAvailable_54'

All of this seems to be a problem in locating files and/or not having the right executables available.

Making some progress, but this is quite painful. Anybody have any thoughts on this?
Last edit: 17 Oct 2019 01:15 by BigBird. Reason: Provide additional information

More
22 Oct 2019 18:00 #148551 by BigBird
Just thought I'd close this out in case anyone else is having fun with a Ryzen 2200G.

I gave up and went with Intel.

Here's what I did before changing horses: I updated the motherboard BIOS. I tried two variations of the kernel all the way up to 5.2. And I built LinuxCNC on 5.2. But no luck....LinuxCNC would just freeze at random times.

It works on the Intel box though. Go figure. I thought they were interchangeable.

Maybe the Ryzen microcode updates due out in Nov 2019 via motherboard BIOS upgrade will fix the problem. Apparently there are over 100 fixes but I don't know how many fixes are specific to the 2200G.

Time to create page: 0.094 seconds