linuxcnc usb and ethernet

More
02 Jan 2019 22:57 #123373 by Gavin_09_az
Hi I ahve 2 questions.

I am new to linuxcnc and am wondering if it supports usb or ethernet interface. I understand that linux cnc has been a parallel port interface, but I don't know if that has changed I am hoping to build a cnc router setup based on ClearPath by Teknic motors. These servo motors have integrated motion controller and drive, and are connected via a hub (www.teknic.com/products/clearpath-brushless-dc-servo-motors/).
My second question is: is there anyone with any experience using linuxcnc and ClearPath motors and what do they think.

if there any forum entries or other links that I should look at please let me know

Gavin

Many Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Jan 2019 01:45 #123382 by dberndt
Replied by dberndt on topic linuxcnc usb and ethernet
I don't have any clearpath experience, but I've watched a fair number of videos about their product and I guess in the linuxcnc world I'd just ask why bother?

Is your machine going to be big enough and it's use to be of a professional type nature such that it would be appropriate to consider the price of putting servos on it? If so why not consider a servo system with linuxcnc closing the loop?

The more devices you have closing the loop, the more things you have to mess with, tune, make talk to one another, etc. Having just one controller in command of the whole system has significant value imo.

If the machine is of the smaller nature, then maybe clearpath SD's make sense, I can't imagine a scenario in which something like the SC with an additional motion controller you wouldn't be using would be useful in a linuxcnc environment.

More
03 Jan 2019 04:49 #123388 by InMyDarkestHour
In a Nutshell:

USB motion control no.

Mesa motion control with Ethernet yes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tivoi, iancaz

More
06 Jan 2019 19:38 #123624 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic linuxcnc usb and ethernet

I am new to linuxcnc and am wondering if it supports usb or ethernet interface. I understand that linux cnc has been a parallel port interface, but I don't know if that has changed

LinuxCNC hasn't always supported the parallel port. Initially it only supported PCI servo control cards. Parallel port support was added rather later to lower the barrier to entry.
LinuxCNC still supports a range of PCI, PCI-e and even ISA interface cards. It also supports a few boards from Pico and Mesa and the Pluto-P that use the p-port EPP interface as a data bus.
General Mechatronics make a set of cards that allow CAN-bus control of hardware, and there are quite a few systems using EtherCAT with LinuxCNC. (Unfortunately the EtherCAT licence is incompatible with the LinuxCNC licence so we can't distribute LinuxCNC with EtherCAT built-in)

To answer your actual question, yes, there are a number or Ethernet controlled interface boards from Mesa.

You can definitely control the ClearPath SD (step and direction control) motors with LinuxCNC.

I think I have seen some mention of using the SC drives on this forum, but I can't remember the details. Looking at the web site, though, it seems that the link is typically USB to one of their hubs, and I don't think that would work particularly well with LinuxCNC.

I can imagine that a system using Ethernet to a Mesa 7i94 and then splitting out to a 7i44 could be made to work, though how hard that would be would depend on how helpful the Clearpath docs are on the low level interface (they seem to rather expect you to use their API and C++, but LinuxCNC hardware drivers are Linux kernel modules and have to be written in C AFAIK)

So, Ethernet and SD motors -> Yes, now and easy
MC motors -> Yes, but not for motion control
SC motors -> Maybe, but drivers would need to be written.

More
06 Jan 2019 21:47 #123646 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic linuxcnc usb and ethernet
I think if you read the Clearpath web site carefully, they recommend the SD drives for CNC control. Some of their other solutions are designed more for industrial pack and place type applications. As Andy said, SD yes, now and easy!

Time to create page: 0.106 seconds