Staubli RX60 project

More
24 Jan 2019 18:38 #124747 by JonathanHancock
Hi all.

I'm lucky enough to have recently acquired an old Staubli RX60 CR robot. This is an ‘upgrade’ from my other robot, a Puma 560. Neither of them have a controller although I have successfully used a Galil Motion Controller for the Puma. There are two areas that I need help with regarding the RX60; finding suitable parts to drive the robot (servo amplifiers etc) and then controlling it in coordinated motion, preferably using some form of GUI or teach-pendant. It seems that the STMBL cards could be suitable, but I'm unable to find information on where you can buy them from, or the part-assembled PCB's at least.

I see that 'Wireline' has done exactly what I'm trying to do which is encouraging! It would be amazing if I could get some help and advice with this in general, particularly as I'm new to LinuxCNC but have a pretty good understanding of hardware. It's a personal project so I have a very limited budget, but lots of enthusiasm!

Jonathan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Jan 2019 13:07 #124807 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Staubli RX60 project
I have helped a bit with an STMBL retrofit of a Staubli, and it would be a very good choice of drive except for one thing: The biggest and most expensive part of the drive is no longer in production. So there basically are none of the drives available.

I have PCBs, you can have them for free, but unless you can find the IRAM256-2067A2 then the PCB is no good.

There is a plan to redesign around a new power stage. I don't know where that work has got to. Part of the problem here is that the designers of the project have all the drives that they personally need now.

More
25 Jan 2019 13:56 #124811 by JonathanHancock
Hi Andy. Thanks for your reply. I'll have a look for the IRAM256-2067A2, but it seems like you've already done this to no avail. Do you have six PCB's just in case please?

Also, assuming the the STMBL system isn't available, do you know of any other amplifiers that could be suitable? It looks like the motors are rated at 200V (the manual states 180 to 220 for the bus voltage) which is considerably higher than anything I've managed to find already.

What's the best way to share my postal address? And I'd like to offer you something for the PCB's, postage at the very least.

Thanks, Jonathan

More
25 Jan 2019 14:05 #124813 by andypugh

Also, assuming the the STMBL system isn't available, do you know of any other amplifiers that could be suitable? It looks like the motors are rated at 200V (the manual states 180 to 220 for the bus voltage) which is considerably higher than anything I've managed to find already.

What current and what type of motor feedback / commutation?

More
25 Jan 2019 14:22 #124818 by JonathanHancock
There are two of the large ones (the yellow label), one of the other, then three small ones which I haven't got to yet.

Worst case is the two largest (joins 1 and 2) so if they're covered, the others would be too. It looks like 4.35A stall and 17A peak! The RX60 is known for its speed, but I'm happy to restrict that to bring the current down if needed.

They have resolvers and I don't think there are any hall sensors. I can convert the resolvers to incremental if needed using an AD2S90, possibly.
Attachments:

More
25 Jan 2019 14:28 #124819 by andypugh
I am a resolver enthusiast, so I would suggest keeping them.

I have two machine tools running with the Mesa 8i20 drive and with a Mesa 7i49 to read the resolvers.

STMBL can read the resolvers directly. In fact Specific RX60 configs exist:
github.com/rene-dev/stmbl/tree/master/conf

More
25 Jan 2019 18:04 #124834 by JonathanHancock
It looks like the IRAM256-1567A2 might be available which looks to be the same except rated at 15A. Do you think that could work?

The Mesa 8i20 is nice but is expensive for 6 of them!

Link to IRAM256-1567A2:

www.aliexpress.com/item/100-New-original...&transAbTest=ae803_4

More
25 Jan 2019 18:12 #124839 by andypugh

It looks like the IRAM256-1567A2 might be available which looks to be the same except rated at 15A. Do you think that could work?

Probably. But you really need to ask the STMBL experts

And building an STMBL by hand is not for the faint-hearted...

More
25 Nov 2019 16:47 - 25 Nov 2019 16:49 #151234 by ak007
Replied by ak007 on topic Staubli RX60 project
Hi Andy,

I am working on similar project to drive Fanuc 5 axis arm with 5 STMBLs and Mesa 7i92 and linuxCNC and stuck at LinuxCNC config. I have 5 STMBL drives attached to robot and i can move each motor using servoterm. Are LinuxCNC config files for Staubli project available?
Last edit: 25 Nov 2019 16:49 by ak007.

Time to create page: 0.235 seconds