Startech PEX1P parallel port card problems

More
15 Feb 2019 00:39 #126511 by kborsum
Been there, done that. Regardless of the voltage on the input pin (GND or V+5) to the parallel port card (NOT the bob), LinuxCNC treats the input as asserted. SO if the PEX1P card IS working, then LinuxCNC isn't.
Not being a Linux or LinuxCNC guru, I've got no way to check the input status other than with the LinuxCNC response. If there is a linux command line command that will read and display the input, please tell me!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Feb 2019 04:03 #126522 by Todd Zuercher
The C10 boards from cnc4pc are usually pretty good.

To test an input on the parallel port, a 450ohm resistor from an output pin to an input. Then toggle the output on/off and watch to see if the input changes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: kborsum

More
15 Feb 2019 09:46 #126526 by andypugh

SO if the PEX1P card IS working, then LinuxCNC isn't.

If outputs work then LinuxCNC is working too.

It is possible to have the parallel port "write" function running and not the "read" function, but you have to set up the HAL file that way deliberately.

Just to check, with LinuxCNC running, open a terminal and type "halcmd show funct"
The following user(s) said Thank You: kborsum

More
17 Feb 2019 00:19 #126635 by kborsum
Got one on order...looks like a Model-T...just the basics, which is excellent for testing.
I'll try your method of testing as soon as the replacement PPT cards I have on order show up.
Have you used the C11G card from cnc4pc? With linuxCNC in particular??? I like the selectable pullup or pulldown on the inputs!

More
17 Feb 2019 00:22 #126636 by kborsum
This is the basic installation for LinuxCNC, and I have not messed with any of the HAL files, yet.

I'll try your command suggestions as soon as I get a new PPT card delivered this week.

Time to create page: 0.124 seconds