Solved : THCAD with toma_thc config help needed

More
13 Feb 2019 00:00 - 13 Feb 2019 00:00 #126310 by Grotius
Why not comment for new linux users that the voltage scale value is not in kw?

If Trump build's a wall around your flag. How much will that cost? is it 1000 sand pieces?
Last edit: 13 Feb 2019 00:00 by Grotius.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Feb 2019 00:07 #126311 by phillc54

Why not comment for new linux users that the voltage scale value is not in kw?

If Trump build's a wall around your flag. How much will that cost? is it 1000 sand pieces?

OK, for all you new users out there: The voltage scale is not in kW...

Cheers, Phill
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
13 Feb 2019 00:11 #126312 by Grotius
And the scale is .....
So a new user is better of with a windows 95 readme file.

More
13 Feb 2019 00:21 #126314 by phillc54

And the scale is .....
So a new user is better of with a windows 95 readme file.

I think it would have been much quicker for you to post your own solution to the original request rather than to criticise someone who was only trying to help.

Cheers, Phill.

More
13 Feb 2019 00:51 #126316 by Grotius
If i look at your component it looks like
A thc.comp. New users can not connect this. And i may say that is a big problem.

So see my comments as positive critic's.

When i started linux and i found a good readme or a simple file i was hapoy.

To connect Thc outside of toma is not done for a newbie.

So that must change soon. We must show
The power of linux, make hal connections within seconds. Maybe automated. This can be done inside the component in c.

More
13 Feb 2019 01:10 #126317 by phillc54

Grotius wrote:
If i look at your component it looks like
A thc.comp. New users can not connect this. And i may say that is a big problem.

This was a solution to a request from an experienced user, I don't expect that a new user would even know how to connect it into the config that it is meant for.

Cheers, Phill

More
13 Feb 2019 01:32 #126319 by tommylight
Oh cr@p ! I just noticed i posted this on the wrong section !!!
Admins, would it be to much to ask if you could move it to where it should be? Thank you in advance.

@ All, this back and forth commenting is not helpful.
It is nice to have as more info as possible for new users, and it is a fact that new users need to read a lot to be able to do advanced configurations and installations. The main thing to remember is: Linuxcnc is extremely versatile and as such it should be extremely complicated, BUT it is NOT! Not by a long shot, as all the complicated stuff is behind the GUI doing it's thing and chugging along ( even when linux breaks in VERY rare cases, Linuxcnc and the machine will continue to work, had one such case several years ago.).
Do a search of this forum, look for new users that came asking questions about retrofitting some very big and very complicated machines, almost all of them successfully finished them and are happily using them every day ( that is why you do not see some of them here on the forum, they are busy using those machines), and most of them have no electronics or mechanics or whatever else degrees, most of them had no experience with any machine before, but they persisted and learned and asked and got help from users here on this forum.
They are all a testament to the power of Linuxcnc as a software and as a community.

This is getting long winded, so i will shut up.......for now ! :)
Thank you, all !
Tom.
P.S.
Had not time to test the comp today, will try tomorrow and report back.
The following user(s) said Thank You: phillc54

More
13 Feb 2019 09:16 #126329 by rodw

EDIT: But I think that the formulas only work for the THCAD300 as its not scaled back to to arc volts from the 0-10 volt full scale reading

I don't understand why that would be the case. I assume that encoder output velocity is linear then it is scaled to the appropriate value.
Am I missing something?

Cheers, Phill.

Probably not but maybe my mind works differently. But I can't think about it after today! My plasma cutter has a 30:1 divider so it only receives 0-10 volts so to me the scale is the difference between the 2 frequency readings divided by 10 volts. But I guess it could be scaled to > 10 volts. When I wrote my THCAD somponent, I put all the raw inputs on the pins including a pin for the on board frequency divider so the user has to do no maths to configure it.

Sorry Tommy.... but I do see that the old and complicated machines are well covered because Linuxcnc was designed for milling machines. Somewhere in the docs it says Plasma is an orphan process, quite unlike most CNC processes and its not been well catered for by LinuxCNC. But there has been awesome progress made since I started to play with a plasma machine, with input from so many people! Soon, it will mature and there will be a config available in master. It won't matter whether its yours or mine, Phils or somebody elses. We may not all like it but we all will have helped to get it there.
The following user(s) said Thank You: phillc54, tommylight, Grotius

More
13 Feb 2019 19:04 #126372 by tommylight

But there has been awesome progress made since I started to play with a plasma machine, with input from so many people!

To the point that it can put to shame many much more expensive machines, save for some new ones costing north of 100.000. That is given the same Plasma source! Comparing a 300$ cutter to a 17000$ Hypertherm is no go.
For reliability and ease of use, it wins almost always ! Almost, as we do need some nesting and lead in lead out help.

Soon, it will mature and there will be a config available in master. It won't matter whether its yours or mine, Phils or somebody elses. We may not all like it but we all will have helped to get it there.

True and very true.
We keep chugging along, one hal pin at a time!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Grotius

More
13 Feb 2019 22:15 - 13 Feb 2019 23:14 #126400 by Grotius
Tom,

For testing we can make a test component who writes the postgui.hal file connection's automated (add's it to the file mode "append") for a certain type of interface setup. This will automate it for newbies.

For example the parport application or the basic mesa config.

It can collect data like voltage divider ratio from the ini file. Everytime the config start's data is readed trough the component and written to the postgui. When config start's and is running and is for user defined as good to stay forever, the user can switch of the append by changing in the ini : section APPEND = 0 instead
of APPEND=1

Who wants to be the test rabbit?
Last edit: 13 Feb 2019 23:14 by Grotius.

Time to create page: 0.163 seconds