Staring configuration without boards? GUI sensitive?

More
21 Mar 2019 14:49 #129179 by Type_Zero_Design
Hello everyone,

A few questions in regards to Linuxcnc.

I was wondering if I can start developing my configurations for my machine and hardware without having my Mesa boards? (7i76E is sold out for the next month) Obviously there will be some limits but I wasn't sure if it's a possibility.

Secondly if I start developing on one GUI can that carry over to another or is it a total loss?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Mar 2019 14:59 #129183 by tommylight

Secondly if I start developing on one GUI can that carry over to another or is it a total loss?

It is not a total loss, you can use that config with other GUI's.
You can also do all kinds of testing with no hardware, but i am not sure if there is a sim for 7i76E.
Anyway you look at it, it is quite simple to do a config when you get the Mesa board, in the mean time you can use a sim to get used to the GUI you want to use.

More
21 Mar 2019 17:40 #129204 by Type_Zero_Design
Good to know, going to spend some tea learning about the config tonight.

More
21 Mar 2019 19:28 #129214 by Mike_Eitel
I was considering that it should be possible to write a .comp file with all inputs and outputs for a i776e. And insert that for sim. But never tried for time restrictions.

Isn't hat possible?

More
21 Mar 2019 19:40 #129216 by cmorley
It is possible. that is what stepconf does for hardware simulation option.
In stepconf's case the comp is actually a passthrough - you could conceivably connect some other hardware to it - tough i have never tried.

The problem (IMHO) with most Mesa hardware is the volume and combinations of I/O make it impractical for anything but standard-firmware-all-in-one cards (like the 7i76e)

Chris

More
21 Mar 2019 23:58 #129234 by andypugh

I was considering that it should be possible to write a .comp file with all inputs and outputs for a i776e. And insert that for sim. But never tried for time restrictions.
Isn't hat possible?

Absolutely. I even started one once.

Just a .comp file that creates the pins and then does nothing with them.

More
22 Mar 2019 00:15 #129236 by andypugh

Isn't hat possible?

Absolutely. I even started one once.

Just a .comp file that creates the pins and then does nothing with them. You probably have to call the file and the component hm2_7i76e though.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mike_Eitel

Time to create page: 0.113 seconds