Closed loop stepper and Mesa 7i76e

More
13 Apr 2019 17:20 #130782 by tripwire
Quick question: Would there be any problem running a closed loop stepper motor and driver, such as the HBS860 or HSS86 with my Mesa 7i76e card? I wouldn't think so since the driver to Mesa card connections seem the same. But wanted to make sure.

Thanks for any input!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Apr 2019 00:12 #130803 by tommylight
No problem that i can think of, it should work nicely .
The following user(s) said Thank You: tripwire

More
14 Apr 2019 08:27 #130832 by pl7i92
you can also get a feedback as you use a 7i83 to get the encoder signals to the system

the HSxx are depending on what machine you plan to fit on a waste of money
better to go for bigger 8Nm or 12Nm steppers as you as we all do
on a good setup loose no step at hours of machining on fast rates

More
14 Apr 2019 13:46 - 14 Apr 2019 13:52 #130847 by tripwire
pl7i92 weighed in on my implied question: Are closed loop steppers worth it? Closed loop stepper systems claim to run quieter, cooler and more efficiently as power is delivered to the motor only as needed. Also, these days it seems such systems aren't much more expensive than their open loop counterpart.

Maybe others can weigh in on the question:

Are closed loop steppers worth it?
Last edit: 14 Apr 2019 13:52 by tripwire.

More
14 Apr 2019 13:51 #130848 by pl7i92
if you ask ME
NO

for the same price you get Nema34 12Nm and can run 1Tonn of gantry at 12nm if the Ballscrew 2510 can handle it

More
14 Apr 2019 18:57 #130867 by Hakan
From a performance point of view, they have not much extra to offer. But there are other things.
Like you mentioned less power. Yes, they don't consume much power and can sit idle day after day without getting warm. And then there is the feedback with the driver, it can signal when it has lost steps (or rather the following error has become too large). You don't need to risk a silent loss of steps, the driver will tell you when it is too much. And this alone makes it worthwhile in my opinion.

More
14 Apr 2019 22:58 #130880 by tommylight
Not sure about worth, 2 years ago they where at the same price point of cheap servo systems.
If the price is still near that of servo systems, i would not bother with them, but if the difference is big, then yes it is worth. If it is at the same price point of open loop systems as you mention it, then hell yes, although i sincerely doubt it to be the same.

More
15 Apr 2019 06:24 #130888 by pl7i92
triperly
can you tell us more about the mashine you are on
is it a retrofit
a new build
type of mashine and parts you expect to be made

More
15 Apr 2019 15:50 #130907 by tripwire
My machine is a self-built machine but it's a pretty stiff machine--constructed of 40mm thick T-slotted aluminum extrusion. My motivation for upgrading the motors is due to the fact that I started losing steps on a part I was making. (But this could be due to the gcode of that particular part. I didn't fully analyze the problem.) Also, I'm upgrading to a 2.2Kw spindle motor which is significantly heavier than my current motor which is a small router. My "Y" axis was the one slipping. This is a 2-motor axis that moves the entire gantry. I currently have 2 Nema 23 motors running it. So I was looking at Nema 34 motors and then thought maybe I should use closed-loop motors and drivers.

I'd like to be able to comfortably mill aluminum. The machine already has this capability (with the right feeds and speeds).

A 12Nm closed loop motor and driver can be had for around $150. A normal, open loop system is probably a little less expensive but if there's any advantage to a closed loop system, I think the price difference would be worth it.

More
15 Apr 2019 16:19 #130908 by slc
I fitted 3 nema23 closed loop steppers to a small machine recently at a cost of about $100 per axis, just out of curiosity to see what they are like.
They are almost silent when running at any speed and they have the advantage of an alarm output that can be used to stop the system completely if something goes wrong.
I am 100% happy that I tried them and would not go back to normal steppers again.

Time to create page: 0.071 seconds