Question: Capability of LinuxCNC for 3d printing

More
18 Apr 2019 20:44 - 18 Apr 2019 21:17 #131185 by rockandsalt
Hi,
I am new here and my experience with CNC machine is limited. I stumbled upon linuxCNC while searching for a replacement controller for a bespoke 3d printer ( Binder jetting ) in my lab. It was built a while ago by a previous student (10yr ago). Before embarking in retrofitting the printer with linuxCNC, I would to check if linuxCNC is indeed what i need.

Right now the printer is a 3 axis parker motion gantry controlled by a Delta tau turbo pmac2 unit and 5 Acc-24E2 Axis Expansion Board (X,Y,Z1,Z2,Bed,Carriage). The motor driver are AR-13AE Aries (for X,Y) and parker E-DC (for Z1,Z2,Bed and Carriage).

In principle, a PC running LinuxCNC(with the correct parrallel card) should replace the pmac2 unit? How many axis LinuxCNC can control. For example, I have two printhead. So therefore I have two Z axis. Same thing with with the carriage, I have two platform that moves up and down. Can I control those as if they were different Z axis?

It seems the Ar-13AE takes a 10V analog signal as input (did I read that right?). Does LinuxCNC support that?

In the python part, when I implement a custom G-code command, does the python interpreter have access to all the peripheral the computer is connected to? Or does it run in a sandbox? I have a two printhead that I need to communicate with using RS232.

And What peripheral card you guys suggest? I see Mesa being mentionned a lot.

Cheers
Last edit: 18 Apr 2019 21:17 by rockandsalt.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Apr 2019 06:38 #131220 by pl7i92
you can do this

considder heyapot at 200mm/sec if the hotend can follow

Tehe mesa woudt be Ethernet 7i96 best for this projekt

if you already got a parport printer then use the 7i92 and just hook it up
The following user(s) said Thank You: rockandsalt

More
19 Apr 2019 18:30 #131254 by Todd Zuercher
For the analog controlled servos (+/-10v) a Mesa card combination inducing a 7i77 daughter card would probably be the best option.

Linuxcnc has the ability to control up to 9 axis. XYZ (linear Cartesian), ABC (rotary Cartesian), + UVW (extra parallel axis to XYZ). All of these are arbitrary as to their purpose and configuration, except ABC do have some hard ties to rotary motion in the motion planner, at least before the Joint/Axis merger in Master.

More
20 Apr 2019 23:10 #131340 by andypugh
I am slightly confused by the motor driver link, as it says "Analogue +/- 10V" at the top but then further down mentions Powerlink, Serial and Ethernet.

However, none of those are a good match to a parallel port (and I would be discouraging you from that approach anyway).

As Todd says, this looks likely to be a job for a 7i77 card (which needs a 5i25 or 6i25 in a PCI slot in the PC)

More
21 Apr 2019 03:04 #131365 by Todd Zuercher
Or a 7i92 or 7i80 Ethernet card.

More
23 Apr 2019 23:06 #131711 by rockandsalt
Hi,

Thank you everybody for the replies. It was very helpful.

Cheers

Time to create page: 0.085 seconds