How is LinuxCNC funded?

More
10 May 2019 19:42 - 10 May 2019 20:05 #133402 by bevins
Replied by bevins on topic How is LinuxCNC funded?

What is wrong with the interpreter?
As far as I know it interprets perfectly.

Until you give it a command where it wasn't designed to accept one and it decides to ignore you cause its busy dealing with task. My opinion remap is a band-aid and will always have issues. Every time I do remaps I have to deal with this. I have one machine I cant fix because of it. Have to just cut three or 4 pieces and reset, otherwise it just goes brain-dead. I'm even thinking on putting a commercial PC controller on it.

Unless I am doing something wrong, but that's hard to tell because there are no detailed docs to deal with it nor anyone available to help.

Sorry, ranting...... This belongs in another arena.
Last edit: 10 May 2019 20:05 by bevins.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 May 2019 20:22 #133406 by MartyJ
Replied by MartyJ on topic How is LinuxCNC funded?
Bevins, I bet someone has figured out your problem already. I really think having a library of config files which are known good, with a full list of specs and wiring diagrams, would be the thing which would keep new users from having to experience the dive into the dark deep.
The long term health of this project is going to require a faster way to get up and running. That will lead to a larger pool of users, and that means that some folks could, if they choose, make it their job to support the project and its users while actually being able to make money from it.

Otherwise it will be limited to enthusiasts with a nontrivial level of computer experience, and lots of time to dedicate to getting up to speed with it. That rules out 95% of metalworkers and woodworkers.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jools

More
10 May 2019 20:51 - 16 May 2019 08:23 #133409 by InMyDarkestHour
meh
Last edit: 16 May 2019 08:23 by InMyDarkestHour.

More
10 May 2019 20:54 #133410 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic How is LinuxCNC funded?

Until you give it a command where it wasn't designed to accept one and it decides to ignore you cause its busy dealing with task. My opinion remap is a band-aid and will always have issues. Every time I do remaps I have to deal with this. I have one machine I cant fix because of it. Have to just cut three or 4 pieces and reset, otherwise it just goes brain-dead. I'm even thinking on putting a commercial PC controller on it.

Unless I am doing something wrong, but that's hard to tell because there are no detailed docs to deal with it nor anyone available to help.

Well you could write your own version of task and iocontrol. Both of these are designed to be swapped in and out by ini file settings. There is even an example version of iocontrol v2 in the source that adds additional pins to iocontrol. You can blame Andy but earlier in the week I copied and renamed the task module and tweaked the source to make it compile. It only took maybe half an hour to get my machine running my new (identical but renamed) task module but I really had no idea what to do next. Things that came to mind would be modified spindle handling (M3/M5) for plasma and maybe adding a new gcode or two that updated pins in iocontrol. I wasn't sure if the gcode additions could be done.

More
10 May 2019 21:24 - 10 May 2019 21:26 #133412 by bevins
Replied by bevins on topic How is LinuxCNC funded?

Well you could write your own version of task and iocontrol. Both of these are designed to be swapped in and out by ini file settings. There is even an example version of iocontrol v2 in the source that adds additional pins to iocontrol. You can blame Andy but earlier in the week I copied and renamed the task module and tweaked the source to make it compile. It only took maybe half an hour to get my machine running my new (identical but renamed) task module but I really had no idea what to do next. Things that came to mind would be modified spindle handling (M3/M5) for plasma and maybe adding a new gcode or two that updated pins in iocontrol. I wasn't sure if the gcode additions could be done.

iocontrol has nothing to do with it. Nor is it a problem of task.

When I read "ps: to decode the mystery 'wtf is the interpreter doing'," which is a direct quote from the author of remap, I realize I am in over my head. I am not much of a programmer. I can write a remap in python but beyond that, understanding the internals of linuxcnc is way above my head. He clearly states it works in ngc, you do it in python you are on your own. So I guess it was my mistake.

The docs should have some type of warning...... I am left to try and convert a 1,000 line python remap to ngc oword remap which may or may not have the same issues.
Last edit: 10 May 2019 21:26 by bevins.

More
14 May 2019 12:28 #133737 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic How is LinuxCNC funded?

Until you give it a command where it wasn't designed to accept one and it decides to ignore you cause its busy dealing with task. My opinion remap is a band-aid and will always have issues.

Remap is there to support non-standard G-codes.

What standard G-code (RS274) does LinuxCNC not handle correctly?

Time to create page: 0.297 seconds