AppImage

More
09 May 2019 10:10 #133232 by grump
AppImage was created by grump
Would it be feasible to create an AppImage of the sim Axis gui?
it would be a great thing to have on my Stretch livecd for demonstrations instead of having to install the whole shooting match.
I know a sim version has been asked for in the past and was created for puppylinux some years ago, I seem to remember having a copy of it.
Just a thought as I am seeing and using many AppImages lately. They are not hard to create with all the tools available these days.
I teach a few groups and it's easy to take a pile of 4G sd cards with livecd's on them.
From a menu, they can use librecad, Qcad, libreoffice, Inkscape, Gimp, Krita, Gravit, Blender, Firefox, Fontforge, Sli3r, Freecad and many more all from AppImages.
It is fantastic to see what people do with them and display their work in Linuxcnc simulation, anything they want to keep they save to their own external media and take it home with them.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 May 2019 14:45 #133242 by pl7i92
Replied by pl7i92 on topic AppImage
you siomply can run it on a usb stick
by generating a image from your home PC

More
09 May 2019 17:45 #133259 by grump
Replied by grump on topic AppImage
Thank you for taking the time to read my request and for the reply but it doesn't answer my question.
I am fully aware that I can run linuxcnc from a USB stick and I do, that is not what I am asking.

More
09 May 2019 20:27 #133285 by InMyDarkestHour
Replied by InMyDarkestHour on topic AppImage
Well if all the tools are there and it’s easy to do, why does one pull one’s digit out and do it one’s self ?
Then one can share it with the rest of the community ?

In all seriousness the live CD is to help people migrate to Linuxcnc not necessarily a teach aid.
That’s the good thing about Linux in general, you dive in under the hood and make it your own.
What’s the issue with starting the linuxcnc chooser and picking the axis sim ?

More
09 May 2019 23:13 #133307 by grump
Replied by grump on topic AppImage
I have made my own AppImage for my own personal use. The general AppImage etiquette is to ask the provider to make it available and to maintain it with updates etc which is the reason for my post.
As you quite rightly say The Linuxcnc live cd as excellent as it is, is not a teaching aid but my live cd is a teaching aid and doesn't have Linuxcnc installed, hence I would like to add it as an AppImage.
The people in the groups are not only interested in CNC, but also sublimation T-shirt printers, lathe turners, Jewellers and welders to name but a few of the members. Anyone who wants to come along and not be frightened to switch on a computer and produce something is welcome.
It would be wrong of me to share the AppImage I have made as it is done in Stretch and will soon be Buster as that becomes stable, I have no intention of testing or developing Apps for other versions or ditros.
I am simply asking about the feasibility of producing a demo sim and observing the correct etiquette, if the developers don't want to that's fine.

More
10 May 2019 07:30 #133334 by InMyDarkestHour
Replied by InMyDarkestHour on topic AppImage
Seen as Wheezy still seems to be "Official" and Stretch is at r13 (r12) it maybe a while till we see Buster.

You mentioned Puppy Linux...I don't seem to remember any mention of getting permission from the Linuxcnc Developers to put it on a CD, I used to frequent Puppy forums in the early days helping out with getting basic wifi happening....If I remember correctly that LiveCD was s download related to some commercial hardware.

Usually best place to catch the developers' attention is on the mailing list.

More
20 Nov 2019 00:06 - 20 Nov 2019 05:33 #150700 by PatJac
Replied by PatJac on topic AppImage
Hi grump,
If not too heavy and free of compromising personal data,i would be curious to check your appimage .
Finding this post add to the funny fact that i helped to test ,use(parport only..) and share my ¨updated¨ puppy linux variant iso; debiandog rtai here
Could looking at your own appimage give some clues to what should /could be included in it for a possible uspace future puppy linux variant i am thinking of?

InMyDarkestHour
oops , debiandog rtai iso is shared since 2014...
maybe i should read linuxcnc licence...its on the iso..
Last edit: 20 Nov 2019 05:33 by PatJac.

Time to create page: 0.161 seconds