Can I use LinuxCNC with an isel GFM4433 with an iMC4 motion control board in it?

More
10 May 2019 17:02 #133379 by lou_new1
I have just bought a CNC; an isel GFM4433. It was ridiculously cheap for the condition, however I understand you can't use normal software like Mach3 with it. Is it possible to use LinuxCNC with it? If stock LCNC doesn't work with it, is there a plugin I can use? I am in the process of getting special software that can run G-Code for this CNC, however I am looking around for other ways also.
Thanks,
L

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 May 2019 17:22 #133382 by Todd Zuercher
Not knowing anything about that machine,I'm sure Linuxcnc could run it.

However your definition of working with it and mine may be different.

Mach3 could probably run it as well but it may not be able to reuse existing drives and hardware. Linuxcnc can probably reuse existing drives and feedback hardware (given the proper interface equipment. )

More
10 May 2019 17:31 #133384 by lou_new1
Okay. By work, I mean work stock without any electronic modifications. I have researched replacing the Motion control board, but it'd be cheaper still (and safer) to just buy their fairly pricey proprietary software. Any advice on what plugin/driver/software mod/settings would be great.
Thanks,
L

More
10 May 2019 17:34 #133385 by bevins
I believe that board connects to control computer via RS-232. I dont know if it needs access to reatime space but I think it does and I dont know if rs-232 interface is capable of it.

More
10 May 2019 17:35 #133386 by lou_new1
I have an RS-232 serial to USB A 2.0 adapter. In the proprietary software, it comes up as being controlled over ' COM'3 '.
Thanks,
L

More
10 May 2019 18:20 #133393 by Todd Zuercher

Okay. By work, I mean work stock without any electronic modifications. I have researched replacing the Motion control board, but it'd be cheaper still (and safer) to just buy their fairly pricey proprietary software. Any advice on what plugin/driver/software mod/settings would be great.
Thanks,
L

That is what I was afraid you were getting at. In that case you are probably out of luck

Linuxcnc is a motion controller, it would be replacing the existing motion controller board. Linuxcnc needs to do the motion control itself. You would need to remove the motion controller, and add the right interface hardware for linuxcnc to control the servo or stepper drives directly. If you don't want to replace the motion control board, or if the motor drives are built into it, it's not going to work.

Mach3 and Mach4 are much happier being just a user interface/g-code interpreter and handing off the motion control to external hardware.

More
10 May 2019 18:36 #133394 by lou_new1
Oh okay. What would you suggest I do? Just use the proprietary software?
Thanks,
L

More
10 May 2019 18:59 #133396 by bevins

Oh okay. What would you suggest I do? Just use the proprietary software?
Thanks,
L

I dont know what drives are in there but worst case: could get mesa board gecko drives and linuxcnc under 800.00 and your in buisness.

More
10 May 2019 19:03 #133398 by lou_new1
I am purchasing the machine for £250 (fully functional). The proprietary software is 190€. I'll stick with the native software.
Thanks,
L

More
14 May 2019 12:14 #133735 by andypugh
£800 was the worst-case. Without more details about the motors and drives it is not possible to say what it would actually take.

But, to get up and going quickly, if you want the project to be making things, rather than configuring a machine, then the original software is probably the most expedient.

Time to create page: 0.078 seconds