Parallel Port on a VM and testing

More
13 May 2019 21:06 #133660 by felixcnc
Hello,

TL;DR; I installed LinuxCNC in a VirtualMachine (virtualbox) and I need to demonstrate that LinuxCNC is capable of writing any output to the parallel port. Is this possible from a VM?. Thank you very much indeed.

(Quick introduction about myself) I'm a student in an Argentinean university and I've never used CNC before. However I have 20 years of experience in software development (mostly backend C/C++/Perl/Ruby) and I've worked in low level software development in linux.

Having said this, I have to say that I downloaded a Debian net install and downloaded and compiled LinuxCNC from sources. It was not a very hard thing, but it took some time to satisfy all the dependencies required.

Problem
We still don't have a real computer to install this, so I created this all inside a VirtualBox VM, which let me run LinuxCNC without issues. My professor asked me if I am able to prove that LInuxCNC can write in a parallel port and I don't know if that's able from a VirtualMachine?

Thank you very much indeed.

Kind regards.

Felix

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 May 2019 22:58 #133665 by BigJohnT
It seems like you should be able to as the keyboard and mouse work on VM. In any case you can use my parallel port tester to see.

wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?Parallel_Port_Tester

JT

More
14 May 2019 01:30 #133674 by felixcnc
Oh, This is awesome. I'll give a try and go back to you.

Thank you very much!

Best regards.

More
14 May 2019 05:56 #133691 by Mike_Eitel
If I remember right there is a way to write pp output into a file(VMware). But never used it ;-)

More
15 May 2019 02:42 #133806 by felixcnc
Ah, perhaps. VMWare seems to be a better virtualization software, but I am using Virtualbox because I had it already installed for my job (I don't remember if there's a free version of VMware).

However this is exactly what I was looking for , the problem now is that I am facing my own "ignorance on LinuxCNC".

While testing this I realized that I need to know a lot more about HAL. I started with the introduction, but it seems that I have to read a lot more, specially because some of the concepts go too fast for me.

Tomorrow I will search in the forums looking for more information about HAL, besides the links :

linuxcnc.org/docs/html/hal/intro.html
linuxcnc.org/docs/html/hal/tutorial.html#_examining_the_hal
and probably all in here:
linuxcnc.org/docs/html/hal/

But I need some extra help for concepts because HAL seems to be complex for a total CNC newbie like me :-)

Thanks again for your help.

Time to create page: 0.254 seconds