Problems updating and installing with 2.7.14

More
25 May 2019 21:53 #134934 by DeckelHead
I have what I thought was a pretty bland installation of LinuxCNC, seeing as I'm still building my machine and cutting my teeth. I used the bundled LinuxCNC approach about a year ago. It installed Wheezy and LinuxCNC. Great.

However, now I'm getting a ton of update errors. It seems like Wheezy support ended over a year ago and I suspect that is the problem. The real issue is that my Sublime started giving problems. I ended up deinstalling and, boy, was that a mistake! Now I can't install it. I keep getting this error:
alan@hurco-cnc:~$ sudo apt-get install sublime-text
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  sublime-text
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 9,993 kB of archives.
After this operation, 35.8 MB of additional disk space will be used.
Get:1 https://download.sublimetext.com/ apt/stable/ sublime-text 3207 [9,993 kB]
Fetched 9,993 kB in 5s (1,860 kB/s)         
E: /var/cache/apt/archives/sublime-text_3207_i386.deb not a valid DEB package.
E: Prior errors apply to /var/cache/apt/archives/sublime-text_3207_i386.deb
debconf: apt-extracttemplates failed: No such file or directory
dpkg-deb: error: archive '/var/cache/apt/archives/sublime-text_3207_i386.deb' contains not understood data member control.tar.xz, giving up
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/sublime-text_3207_i386.deb (--unpack):
 subprocess dpkg-deb --control returned error exit status 2
Errors were encountered while processing:
 /var/cache/apt/archives/sublime-text_3207_i386.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
alan@hurco-cnc:~$ 

I have searched on the internet for a solution and basically all the hits have me do an apt-get clean, update, autoremove, etc. But none of these seem to work. during the upgrade process, half the OS endpoints come up with errors, etc. Again, I assume this is because Wheezy is ancient (probably named that because it is what grandpa sounds like?).

It is all very frustrating... Am I doing something wrong? How to extricate myself from this mess?

Regards,
Alan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 May 2019 22:25 #134938 by tommylight
There are several post on this forum about that, and JT has made a new image with updated sources, so you have two options:
Search for "wheezy can not update" or similar
or
Download the new image and install, but only after you save the config and any other data.

www.google.com/search?source=hp&ei=mMDpX...3i10i299.KrJqN4BQxi8

More
25 May 2019 22:39 #134940 by DeckelHead
You know... I did a quick perusal of the forum and found it surprising how *few* posts there were before I sent mine in. And, in fact "wheezy cannot update" is one of them and it resulted in zero hits; ironically, however, if I change "cannot" to "can not" then I got a few minor ones. LOL

Anyhow, I also looked at the latest distro before posting and I didn't see the updated sources. The official distro is still based on Wheezy, so I'm not sure where the JT version is located. But, it sounds like it may be unofficial and that makes me worry a little. My machine is still under development and I don't know if the new versions are Mesa I/F capable, etc.

Sigh... It sounds like maybe LinuxCNC development is waning? Or is this just because there is no decent RT core for the later versions of Linux?

More
26 May 2019 00:18 - 26 May 2019 00:19 #134944 by BigJohnT
Actually Andy fixed that and yes it's as official as we can make it and it's on the download page. If your using a Mesa card then I'd use Debian 9 Uspace also on the download page.

JT
Last edit: 26 May 2019 00:19 by BigJohnT.

More
26 May 2019 17:35 - 26 May 2019 18:10 #135022 by DeckelHead
JT,
Thank you for the response... I'm a little curious. In the downloads directory for Uspace (www.linuxcnc.org/testing-stretch-rtpreempt/), I see several different ISO images. The i386 and AMD flavors are self-explanatory. However, what is the difference between the versions:

linuxcnc-stretch-uspace-i386-r12.iso
linuxcnc-stretch-uspace-i386-r13.iso
linuxcnc-stretch-uspace-i386.iso

The R12 is older, but R13 and no-rev are essentially the same date; so I'm not really certain what the difference is... I just want to be sure I'm pulling the correct version....

Thinking this one through, I'm assuming the Rxx are in there for incremental upgrades of older versions. And, finally, the non-version variant is nothing more than the HEAD version (so R13). I validated this with the SHA checksums. I was just being stupid.
Last edit: 26 May 2019 18:10 by DeckelHead.

More
27 May 2019 06:30 #135043 by pl7i92
in the ANOUNCMENT there have been the new media updated
it is recomented to go with the Newest as of a frech install dont forget to safe all your configs and NC files

Time to create page: 0.325 seconds