Preventing LinuxCNC from changing iptables?

More
02 Jun 2019 07:24 #135616 by JetForMe
I notice that while linuxcnc is running, it configures iptables to severely limit network access. I tend to ssh to my linuxcnc machine from my Mac because it makes it a lot easier to tinker (I'm just much more comfortable in macOS). I'm able to run many of the GUI apps over X11/ssh, but as soon as I launch linuxcnc, it kill my network connections.

I'm not worried about the potential issues with that right now (CPU load, etc.). I'm just trying to get my machine to limping.

I've thus far been able to find a solution to this, searching for things like "linuxcnc iptables" or "linuxcnc prevent iptables changes".

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Jun 2019 07:45 #135617 by JetForMe
Ah, nevermind. I configured my system to talk to the Mesa card over the other Ethernet port, and now it seems to leave network access intact. Sorry for the noise, hope this helps someone else.

More
02 Jun 2019 12:49 #135628 by PCW
This is a deliberate part of the hm2_eth driver so that there is no spurious network
activity on the host interface used for real time. Its a relatively recent addition, you used
to be able to have the real time link share regular network traffic, this is obviously not
ideal but does work at low servo thread rates.

More
02 Jun 2019 13:00 #135630 by JetForMe
It's all good now that I'm using a separate interface to talk to the 7i76e. Otherwise I wouldn't be able to use a network file share to get NC files onto the machine, and that would've sucked!

More
03 Jun 2019 00:10 #135678 by tommylight
From your posts I can gather that you have your mesa board wired through a switch or a hub ( hubs are almost extinct ), and that is not advisable ever. Direct cable from computer to the board, always.
Now that you have two network cards, most probably you have it wired directly, right?

More
03 Jun 2019 01:17 #135681 by JetForMe

From your posts I can gather that you have your mesa board wired through a switch or a hub ( hubs are almost extinct ), and that is not advisable ever. Direct cable from computer to the board, always.
Now that you have two network cards, most probably you have it wired directly, right?

Oh yes, it's wired directly. Previously it was just on the main network (via switch) because I was just getting things to talking to each other, and I didn't want to add complexity. But I finally got to point where I decided to try making it work with the dedicated port, and now they're wired to each other with a single Ethernet cable.

More
03 Jun 2019 07:08 #135704 by andypugh
Ethernet to Mesa + USB Wifi dongle is simple and works well.

(I am also a Mac user, in fact I do most of my LinuxCNC dev work actually sat at my Mac and SSH-ing into various headless Linux boxes and using a collection of VMs.)

Time to create page: 0.322 seconds