Compiling Preempt RT failed

More
07 Jun 2019 21:45 #136254 by bevins
Everything went ok except for when make modules_install got an error. "cannot use CONFIG_STACK_VALIDATION=y" This shouldn't matter.

It did install, but I got error when booting. Couldnt find suitable memory target. thats weird cause it did install the kernel.

Linux Mint 19.1 following JT's Linux Mint 19.1 RT Kernel instructions

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Jun 2019 21:52 #136255 by bevins
Replied by bevins on topic Compiling Preempt RT failed
WOAH!! I dont know whats going on. The new image is way bigger than the original. Like more than 10 times.

anyone know a way of making it smaller? get rid of stuff I don't need during compile?

More
07 Jun 2019 22:15 #136256 by bevins
/etc/initramfd-tools/initramfs.conf modules=dep should fix it.
It is default set to most which installs everything. Thats probably why it is so big.

Recompile....

More
07 Jun 2019 22:55 #136259 by bevins
Also need to strip modules with....

make INSTALL_MOD_STRIP=1 modules_install

then make install

This should get the image down to a size grub wont complain with.

More
08 Jun 2019 00:08 #136260 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Compiling Preempt RT failed
Bob, if you've got as far as compiling the PREEMPT_RT, why don't you just compile Linuxcnc as well? Its not that hard.

I know its been a while, but for me the kernel just always compiled. I don't understand why you are stripping stuff out (unless HDD is too small). The only thing i remember is that sometimes the menuconfig (if thats what it was called as I've forgotten) did not like the graphical version so I used the text based version.

More
08 Jun 2019 01:03 #136264 by bevins

Bob, if you've got as far as compiling the PREEMPT_RT, why don't you just compile Linuxcnc as well? Its not that hard.

I know its been a while, but for me the kernel just always compiled. I don't understand why you are stripping stuff out (unless HDD is too small). The only thing i remember is that sometimes the menuconfig (if thats what it was called as I've forgotten) did not like the graphical version so I used the text based version.

The image is way too big and grub complains of it. It is big because it is compiling everything and installing all the modules.

What I just tried failed miserably. I dont know why it worked for JT and not me. I followed his to the letter.
I could try stretch, but I want Mint.

This is a known issue. image too big issue

Theres a couple threads on here about it. Linuxcnc on Mint 19

I tried to find a way around it. That didn't work. I knew I should have purchased the 5i25 instead of the 7i92M

More
08 Jun 2019 01:03 #136265 by tommylight

WOAH!! I dont know whats going on. The new image is way bigger than the original. Like more than 10 times.

anyone know a way of making it smaller? get rid of stuff I don't need during compile?

Yup noticed that on two of the last compiles, it also makes the boot time an eternity even on an NVME or an SSD that does 580MB reads per second ! So I found a ready made RT kernel on an audio website and been using that for the last 3 months. Latency is a bit worse with it, but not by much. Am on a tablet so can not get the wersion.
Last compile ended up at 980MB!

More
08 Jun 2019 01:12 #136267 by bevins
Anyone know if compiling the preempt RT does it on Mint 18 also?

More
08 Jun 2019 01:39 #136270 by tommylight
It did not, it was all good. I still have the kernel compiled on 18.1 that I use on 19.1 and it works perfectly, just an older version.
I did the new version as I have an Asus Prime Z270 board with an quad core i5 7400 and NVME drive so I thought it deserved a new version.

More
08 Jun 2019 01:41 #136271 by bevins
oh, I have an mint 18 cd I think. I'll try that.

Thanks

Time to create page: 0.091 seconds