LinuxCNC on Linux Mint 19

More
02 May 2019 06:00 #132489 by InMyDarkestHour

the minimal HDD sizes are
ROOT / 20GB
SWAP / your RAM
Rest Home

Here's a good article on a modern take on swap:
Size of /root will vary from distro to distro, whether you run X or not. Best size for /root is to read the distro docs.
itsfoss.com/swap-size/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 May 2019 17:55 #132551 by JD1
Replied by JD1 on topic LinuxCNC on Linux Mint 19
I tried to follow the steps again but this time I download Linux Mint 19.1 MATE version. I ran into the same errors after completing step 1 and restarting the PC.

error: couldn't find suitable memory target

Then it says press any key

Then it shows several "Error communicating to the TPM chip"

I was able to use grub advanced option to boot into the exisiting kernel. But no luck booting into the rt-preempt kernel.

Is this a common error or should I just give up on linux mint and go with the stretch iso?

More
02 May 2019 18:28 - 02 May 2019 18:31 #132553 by Todd Zuercher
If you have your heart set on Mint, Why not try LMDE3 (it is based off Stretch).
Download and install that, then using Synaptic install "linux-image-4.9.0-4-rt" (686 or AMD64 which ever suits your PC), then reboot into the new kernel and add the Linuxcnc and Linuxcnc's buildbot repos for Stretch and install Linuxcnc. (all using Synaptic) There should be no special hoops to jump through.
Last edit: 02 May 2019 18:31 by Todd Zuercher.
The following user(s) said Thank You: thefabricator03, JD1

More
02 May 2019 19:13 #132558 by islander261
I've done as above and it works with having to compile the RT kernel.

John

More
02 May 2019 20:13 #132564 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic LinuxCNC on Linux Mint 19
Now that the Mate desktop is in Debian I just use Debian 9, much simpler.

gnipsel.com/linuxcnc/uspace/debian9-rt.html
gnipsel.com/linuxcnc/uspace/debian9-emc.html

JT

More
02 May 2019 23:03 #132571 by InMyDarkestHour

I tried to follow the steps again but this time I download Linux Mint 19.1 MATE version. I ran into the same errors after completing step 1 and restarting the PC.

I was able to use grub advanced option to boot into the exisiting kernel. But no luck booting into the rt-preempt kernel.

Is this a common error or should I just give up on linux mint and go with the stretch iso?

Probably comes down to kernel config issues.

More
02 May 2019 23:14 #132574 by InMyDarkestHour
What's the big deal with the MATE desktop environment ?

I know it's pretty good for a desktop but xfce is somewhat lighter in resources.

More
03 May 2019 00:08 #132579 by cmorley
Replied by cmorley on topic LinuxCNC on Linux Mint 19

Probably comes down to kernel config issues.

This is because the kernel is too big for the memory alloted to it....if you look st the kernel sizes , you'll find your new kernel about 10 times bigger...you can have it stripped down with some commands...Google the error message for instructions.

Chris M

More
03 May 2019 00:35 #132582 by MasterSpoon

There is already a lot of info on the forum relating to building Linuxcnc on Mint, well the particular thread is 18.1....but it's the same procedure, one issue that comes up is a missing dependency here and there that can be found by searching the net. Usually it's intl is missing (something along those lines).

No that's not normal....what size swap have you got ?

Usually the looooong boot time comes from the boot scripts trying to find a non-existent swap partition.....ie the uuid has changed or it's not there at all.

Bit of info on long boot times, relating to what I mentioned.
askubuntu.com/questions/625072/deleted-s...w-boot-takes-forever

So managed to find the solution to this, I hadn't setup a swap during install, tried a few how to's on how to add one afterwards but no luck. Could enable one but after reboot it seemed to forget it was there. For some reason my windows install went awol, they were all fresh installs with no user data so just reinstalled. This time I setup a 20gb root, 16gb swap & the rest to home.
Everything seemed fine, could reboot and was getting quick boot times. Powered the computer off and when powered it back on it went slow again...

Checked dmesg and it led me to the problem
unix.stackexchange.com/questions/461425/...-load-crng-init-done
Entered the couple commands as noted there and went from 5:30 from clicking reboot to being back in desktop to 0:45

More
03 May 2019 00:42 #132584 by MasterSpoon

Now that the Mate desktop is in Debian I just use Debian 9, much simpler.

gnipsel.com/linuxcnc/uspace/debian9-rt.html
gnipsel.com/linuxcnc/uspace/debian9-emc.html

JT

For the uneducated among us, is there a difference functionality wise between your original guide and using the debian9 guide you linked here ?

Using the original guide, apart from making the kernel taking ages it was pretty straight forward. I did maybe 1/2hr of stuff last night, told it to make the kernel and went to bed, spent another 1/2hr this morning and it was all done.

Time to create page: 0.196 seconds