LinuxCNC on Linux Mint 19

More
03 May 2019 12:50 #132626 by paulctan
Replied by paulctan on topic LinuxCNC on Linux Mint 19
Realistically, that's basically it. You don't need to rebuild the kernel. I'm sticking with Mint because I'm used to Ubuntu, just to keep the same distro between my machines. Other than that, for someone unfamiliar with linux, kernel compilation takes time and a lot of step, so I would recommend the Debian way for people that aren't as familiar with linux.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 May 2019 12:46 #132731 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic LinuxCNC on Linux Mint 19

Now that the Mate desktop is in Debian I just use Debian 9, much simpler.

gnipsel.com/linuxcnc/uspace/debian9-rt.html
gnipsel.com/linuxcnc/uspace/debian9-emc.html

JT

For the uneducated among us, is there a difference functionality wise between your original guide and using the debian9 guide you linked here ?

Using the original guide, apart from making the kernel taking ages it was pretty straight forward. I did maybe 1/2hr of stuff last night, told it to make the kernel and went to bed, spent another 1/2hr this morning and it was all done.

I'd have to ask which "original guide" as I've made so many. I currently use Debian 9 because:
  1. I don't have to compile a kernel
  2. The Mate desktop is avaliable
  3. QtPyVCP runs without any issue on Debian 9

I think QtPyVCP runs fine on Linux Mint 19 but I've not tried it.

JT

More
04 May 2019 14:20 #132738 by MasterSpoon
Sorry should have been more specific

Was talking about this being the original guide
gnipsel.com/linuxcnc/uspace/linuxmint19-rt.html
gnipsel.com/linuxcnc/uspace/linuxmint19-emc.html

Like I said I'm a Linux newbie, my google fu leads me to believe

This guide gnipsel.com/linuxcnc/uspace/linuxmint19-rt.html uses Ubuntu Bionic as the package base
vs
This guide gnipsel.com/linuxcnc/uspace/debian9-rt.html uses Debian Stretch as the package base

Without diving too far into the Linux hole and getting distracted it appears that Ubuntu is aimed at being more user friendly. Myself, and I dare say others are looking at LinuxCNC to see if it's a viable alternative to either trying to keep old hardware alive to run Mach3 or shelling out for a Mach4 license.

If we ignore the install steps, is there likely to be any performance difference between Ubuntu Bionic vs Debian Stretch for someone that is only planning to use it for motion control ? Is one more / less likely to play nice with newer hardware ?

More
04 May 2019 16:01 - 04 May 2019 16:03 #132746 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic LinuxCNC on Linux Mint 19
The user friendly part is the Desktop environment, now that Linux Mint and Debian both have the Mate Desktop that part is pretty much is the same. Recent OS's of Ubuntu, Mint and Debian should all be the same for recent PC hardware. Even Ubuntu has a Mate variant now, lol. When I wrote the original guide I was not aware that Debian 9 had the Mate Desktop and my idea was to have every version in one place so people could choose without having to look all over the place.

The only reason I used Linux Mint and went thought the trouble of building a kernel is to get the Mate Desktop. I have one more machine to convert to Debian 9 in my shop and install QpPyVCP as my GUI. Working on my plasma now. My most favorite OS was Ubuntu 10.04 and the CHNC still runs that... until I get time to make a QtPyVCP GUI for it.

JT
Last edit: 04 May 2019 16:03 by BigJohnT.

More
04 May 2019 16:34 #132748 by InMyDarkestHour
Debian with xfce desktop is going to be least resource hungry. This is what I have seen in my own testing.
If I was a new comer to Linux and wanting to switch from Mach to Linuxcnc I certainly wouldn’t be using anything but the Debian based distro made by the linuxcnc guys.

More
05 May 2019 02:51 #132802 by tommylight
Since i did not see it mentioned, any of the versions of ready made Debian images with Linuxcnc that come with Xfce can be used also with MATE or any other desktop environment, Install as usual, open synaptics, find Mate and install.
Personally i do prefer Mate for a lot of reasons, and one of the reasons is it reminds me of Ubuntu 10.04 and it's Gnome, it has all the important things where they should be.
Also just as added info, if anyone is looking for a Lite distro, the only usable distro with Mate or any other desktop that is really lite is Porteus. There are plenty of lite versions that are not light at all and there are really light versions like some puppy's and Damn small linux that are fully usable distros at 50MB or so and can be run on very old hardware.
Porteus has still versions for 486 computers.

More
05 May 2019 06:45 #132811 by InMyDarkestHour
Have you tried the whisker menu plugin under xfce ?

Quick screenshot forum.linuxcnc.org/9-installing-linuxcnc...t-19?start=50#132398

More
05 May 2019 22:14 #132879 by tommylight
Not yet. For the older PC's i use Debian Stretch netinstall iso and add the mate or xfce as needed, it is much snappier than Mint and a bit better latency.

More
05 May 2019 22:31 #132883 by InMyDarkestHour
I rolled a custom iso, based on the netinstall iso, for installation, included all settings and extra software as needed, saves bandwidth.

That's pretty much what I've seen, debian does seem a little snappier.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
06 May 2019 02:02 #132896 by JD1
Replied by JD1 on topic LinuxCNC on Linux Mint 19

If you have your heart set on Mint, Why not try LMDE3 (it is based off Stretch).
Download and install that, then using Synaptic install "linux-image-4.9.0-4-rt" (686 or AMD64 which ever suits your PC), then reboot into the new kernel and add the Linuxcnc and Linuxcnc's buildbot repos for Stretch and install Linuxcnc. (all using Synaptic) There should be no special hoops to jump through.

Thanks I tried this and it worked smoothly.

Time to create page: 0.183 seconds