LinuxCNC on Linux Mint 19

More
13 Oct 2019 00:51 #147767 by sqmathlete
Hi John,

I installed the kernel and then proceeded to the tutorial to install LinuxCNC. All good, right up until the last step when I try to right click in file manager. The package installer has an unmet dependency...which is weird because when I dpkg-checkbuilddeps I get nothing and when I followed newbynobi's method I was able to get a rip version of LinuxCNC running which would indicate that all dependencies have been met? or at least installed. I'm sure that I've done something wrong just not sure what. This is way out of my wheel house, any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Dan
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Oct 2019 03:06 #147913 by footpetaljones
John,

I am having a little trouble putting LinuxCNC on a new laptop. Everything runs smoothly according to your instructions for installing up to "debuild -uc -us", when it fails. dpkg-checkbuilddeps returns no missing dependencies.

Any ideas on what I have missed? Thank you.

More
15 Oct 2019 12:24 #147925 by sqmathlete
@footpetaljones
This is the same problem that I'm having...Best I can figure its looking for a package named python-gst0.10. If you try sudo apt-get install python-gst0.10 you get an error saying that there are no likely candidates for install...hmm.

Then I thought that there might be an issue with having multiple kernels installed and that the incorrect version of the files were being downloaded or possibly missing incorrect header files. I tried to uninstall the generic kernel and totally messed that up. Now when I try to update it says that linux mint is no longer signed and cannot be updated from the repository. Going to try a fresh install tonight and try,try again.

Dan

More
16 Oct 2019 00:25 #147959 by footpetaljones
I managed to get 2.7 installed by installing python-gst-1.0. 2.8 would still give me the previous error.

More
28 Feb 2020 02:04 #158713 by pmconsulting
Hi John. This install breaks nVidia display board drivers. I've been unable to follow these instructions with Linux Mint 19.3 and have a working video card. Driver manager shows that I've selected the recommended, proprietary driver - nvidia-driver-435, but none of the settings work and executing nvidia-settings from terminal produces errors saying that no video drivers are loaded.

More
28 Feb 2020 03:18 #158719 by BeagleBrainz
None of the RT_PREEMPT nor RTAI kernels play well with the nvidia drivers.

It is best not to install any nvidiia proprietary drivers.

If you want to use Mint I have made some fully installable images.
Mate with either RTAI or RT_PREEMPT are 19.2
XFCE with either RTAI or RT_PREEMPT are 19.3

I'm currently typing this from Mate 19.2 with RT_PREEMPT on a T530 Thinkpad without any of the proprietary drivers drivers for the enabled nvidia card. The T530 has intel on board and NVS 5400M card.

Heres a link to the UEFI image forum.linuxcnc.org/9-installing-linuxcnc...xcnc?start=80#158595

And the non UEFI image forum.linuxcnc.org/9-installing-linuxcnc...xcnc?start=70#158542

If you need to build 2.9 at the moment this is the branch you'll want
forum.linuxcnc.org/9-installing-linuxcnc...cnc?start=100#158696
The following user(s) said Thank You: tivoi

More
22 Apr 2020 15:01 #165115 by goslowjimbo
Just tried to install the RT kernel on Mint 19.3. This is on a Dual core AMD Phenom II X2, but had similar results on a AMD 8 core processor. When I get to the instruction "sudo make modules-install" I get a "cannot use "config-stack-validation"=y, install lib-dev, libelf-devel, or elfutils-libelf-devel". This is one of my first builds outside of using the downloadable packages on the Linuxcnc website, so I don't really know what to do next.

File Attachment:

File Name: RT-linuxbuildfail.txt
File Size:1 KB

File Attachment:

File Name: Hardwarede...tion.txt
File Size:4 KB
Attachments:

More
22 Apr 2020 15:04 #165116 by tommylight
Did you try this:
forum.linuxcnc.org/9-installing-linuxcnc...nd-easy-installation
or for Debian 10
forum.linuxcnc.org/9-installing-linuxcnc...ick-and-easy-install
Or is there a reason you want to build your own kernel ?

More
22 Apr 2020 15:25 #165121 by goslowjimbo
I was trying to use the gnipsel.com/linuxcnc/uspace/linuxmint19-rt.html site to install and run Linuxcnc on Mint 19.3. If I understand that website, I need to make the RT kernel first, then install Linuxcnc in that "build". I have never liked the Debians since Linuxcnc went from Ubuntu, so I wanted something different, and wanted to do something to "stretch" myself. If what I am doing is unwise or just wrong, please let me know. I did try the "quick and easy" file download on the AMD 8 core processor, but it failed. I tried this a week or 2 ago, and then I tried the route of the gnipsel.com/linuxcnc/uspace/linuxmint19-rt.html. If I recall correctly, I couldn't reboot on that drive after trying it.

More
22 Apr 2020 15:35 #165124 by tommylight
I just see no reason for building the kernel. It was necessary when Mint 18 came out till 19.1.
And that quick and easy tutorial never fails, just be sure to get the right files.

Time to create page: 0.245 seconds