mb2hal and 7i76e UART?

More
15 Jun 2019 00:40 #136931 by JetForMe
The Mesa 7i76e has an RS-422 port available. According to the manufacturer, “There is a UART component available in the firmware but theres is currently no hal component available that uses the UART firmware to drive a modbus device.”

Is that true of mb2hal as well? Can it be configure to communicate using the RS-422 port on the 7i76e? If not, what would it take to add this support? I'm a competent software developer, but I'm completely unfamiliar with the linuxcnc code.

linuxcnc.org/docs/devel/html/drivers/mb2hal.html

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Jun 2019 04:45 #136946 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic mb2hal and 7i76e UART?
It would be great if you took up the challenge on a project I had in mind.

I was going to have a go at controlling a Hypertherm plasma cutter with modbus via the 7i76e but ended up buying a Thermal Dynamics machine that does not have a RS485 Interface.

PCW made a bit file at my request for the 7i76e with UART support. See this thread for the link:
forum.linuxcnc.org/27-driver-boards/3328...6e-with-uart?start=0
There is a link to an example component in that thread: github.com/LinuxCNC/linuxcnc/blob/master...ivers/mesa_uart.comp

I think if you were going to have a go at this you'd start with V2.9 code as thats where your final code will end up. So have a look at the meagre docs about the uart in hostmot2
linuxcnc.org/docs/devel/html/man/man9/hostmot2.9.html

There is an example using this to talk to a gyroscope
github.com/LinuxCNC/linuxcnc/blob/master...sa_pktgyro_test.comp

I was planning on using a modbus emulator program to do the development with.

Good luck with this. I don't think it would be hard to do as the TX and RX functions already exist so from there its just protocol parsing required. Please keep me in the loop.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JetForMe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.058 seconds