Changing tools in linuxcnc and Fusion360

More
26 Jun 2019 06:39 #137865 by shahargut
After a few months of paying with my 6040cnc machine i decided to try and ramp up the level of my cam programs.

So, i tried making a V inlay engraving.
The female side went well, but the make side, was, and still, confusing for me.
I used 6mm Flat mill to mill out the paramiter of my shape and then planed using a 90° V_bit for the final shape.
I think my Cam is good, but i'm having trouble replacing tools during operation.

How can i change to the V_bit and zero it's Z_axis without exiting the program?
I have a very basic chinese controll board and no zero axis plate.
I'm using Fusion 360 for the CAD and Cam, and LinuxCNC as post proccesor for the machine.

Any advise or tips will be much appreciated.

Thank's

Shahar

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Jun 2019 07:40 #137868 by pl7i92
Hi welcome
Firsat
there is best practice to handle things on 6040
USE for every bit you got a separate FILE
part_x_6mmbit
part_x_vbit90
part_x_vbit60
part_x_xxxxx
YOU can add also a ORDER Letter
like part_X_A_6mm
B,C,D

THIS can be done in Fusion360 FILE per Operation in settings
USE order is a option

THEN
you can use a simple TOOL Zeroing Routine and work like that my YT

here it is a wood engrave with 4 files and bits
Attachments:

More
26 Jun 2019 09:18 - 26 Jun 2019 09:19 #137873 by Hakan

How can i change to the V_bit and zero it's Z_axis without exiting the program?

You can't. You can't pause a running program, work manually and then unpause the program.

One file per tool is one alternative.
Having the tools all measured up and just change them is another, if the spindle has that type of chucking.
Use a tool length probe and automatically measure the tool length at tool change time is another.
Last edit: 26 Jun 2019 09:19 by Hakan.

More
27 Jun 2019 13:20 #137998 by persei8
Another thing you could do is make sure M1 optional stops are placed in the gcode before each section. This is an option in the Fusion post processor. Then activate Optional Stops in the linuxcnc gui. When the program pauses after a section, stop the program, do your tool change and re-zero, then restart where you left off. However, having said all that, the best option is to make a separate file for each tool. As for v-carving, there are some good tutorials on youtube. These generally refer to Aspire but the principles are the same. HTH

More
27 Jun 2019 23:43 #138054 by andypugh
I have a pneumatic drawbar and repeatable-length tooling (BT30) but I still generally use one file per tool.
If you are changing tools by hand then switching to the next file is only a little more work and adds a lot of flexibility.

For example, perhaps you want to make 3 parts op-by-op not tool-by-tool. You can't do that with all the ops in one file. (well, unless you are prepared to gamble with the slightly unpredictable operation of run-from-line)

More
02 Jul 2019 06:41 #138375 by shahargut
Thank's for the advise.
I sapose you zero the machine over again for every tool?

More
02 Jul 2019 06:48 #138377 by shahargut
Since i don't know how to connect a z zero plate to my machine, i thought making a simple jig for measuring tools, that way i can mark every tool for the same stickout (20mm for exemple), and that way i can set the tools in the CAM with a set stickout and rely on that for z hifht when changing tools between operations.

Do you think these solutions can work?

More
02 Jul 2019 09:53 #138387 by andypugh
What type of spindle do you have?

The integral ER style spindle noses really are a pretty terrible idea for CNC.

Solid shrink-fit collets do exist, though they are not cheap: www.cutwel.co.uk/tool-holding/tool-holde...fit-collet-er20-bilz
No reason you couldn't make your own, though. Induction heaters have become very cheap: www.ebay.co.uk/itm/183042731885 or for rather more there are lots of induction heaters for freeing bolts that would do the trick.
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/312627236524

Of course you can _fit_ the tools with just a blowtorch, but removing them probably works better with induction as it will somewhat ignore the carbide.

Fitting a setting collar to each tool might work, as might making a set of end-stops to fit in the cavity behind the collet. (or maybe a single end-stop sized for the smallest shank?)

Time to create page: 0.091 seconds