Combined Limit/Home Switch

More
30 Jun 2019 09:52 #138227 by thefabricator03
Hi Guys,

I have done a search but cannot find what I am looking for,

I want to combine the function of my limit switches with the function of home switches,

Is there a way to set that up in the HAL.

I dont want to have multiple switches and more wires on the machine, I already have limit switches at the end of my axises so is there a way to make my limit switches act as both a home switch and when not homing a limit switch.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Jun 2019 11:19 #138229 by Clive S
Replied by Clive S on topic Combined Limit/Home Switch

Hi Guys,

I have done a search but cannot find what I am looking for,

I want to combine the function of my limit switches with the function of home switches,

Is there a way to set that up in the HAL.

I dont want to have multiple switches and more wires on the machine, I already have limit switches at the end of my axises so is there a way to make my limit switches act as both a home switch and when not homing a limit switch.

You can of course use the limit as a combined home and limit have you seen this doc? linuxcnc.org/docs/2.7/html/config/ini-homing.html
The following user(s) said Thank You: thefabricator03

More
30 Jun 2019 11:19 #138230 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic Combined Limit/Home Switch
linuxcnc.org/docs/2.7/html/config/ini-homing.html

You set that in the ini file.

JT
The following user(s) said Thank You: thefabricator03

More
30 Jun 2019 11:28 #138231 by thefabricator03
Thanks for that guys, I knew it would of been a simple setting.

More
30 Jun 2019 12:42 #138233 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Combined Limit/Home Switch
The links above are incorrect as they are for V 2.7 and thefabricator is on 2.9
These are the correct docs. Homing has changed significantly from 2.7
linuxcnc.org/docs/devel/html/config/ini-homing.html

Please take care when referring users to docs guys, there are now 3 versions of Linuxcnc in play. Homing in particular is different from 2.7 to later versions. Thats something I learnt a long time ago as I've never used V2.7.

Stefan, just be aware that if you use shared home/limit switches, you need to back off the home position with a home offset otherwise you will get a limit switch error when you come out of homing (becasue the limit switch is triggered). The implication of this is it could eat into your table size which may or not be significant depending on your table size. I think I'd loose nearly 50mm with shared home/limits.

All my wiring is on the gantry assembly ad there is no wiring around the table itself so the extra sensors were not hard to add. Actually, thats a lie, it did take a fair bit of effort when I think of it! But I think it was worth it

More
30 Jun 2019 14:26 #138240 by Clive S
Replied by Clive S on topic Combined Limit/Home Switch

Please take care when referring users to docs guys, there are now 3 versions of Linuxcnc in play. Homing in particular is different from 2.7 to later versions. Thats something I learnt a long time ago as I've never used V2.7.

I agree, but the op did not say what version he was on, but in hindsight I new he had a gantry so should have know better B)
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw

Time to create page: 0.265 seconds