Adaptive Clearing (HSM)?

More
31 Jul 2019 21:11 #141045 by Todd Zuercher
Anyone played with the "new" Adaptive Clearing (and profiling) in FreeCAD?

How good does it work? How do the tool paths and G-code it makes compare with more commercial offerings?

I've almost finished setting up my first attempt at using FreeCAD for this. (still running simulations and proofing what I got.)

Now I just have to work up the never to give the code it spit out a go on the machine.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Jul 2019 21:20 #141047 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Adaptive Clearing (HSM)?
Not yet. I think PL7i92 mentioned it, but did not have time to test it.
As life has a way of messing plans up, today i was called to take over the management of another local factory that has not been able to produce anything for the last 3 years, despite having brand new machimes ( PET blow molding ).
Have not decided yet.
Hope it works properly, it would be nice to have another CAM besides BlenderCAM. I absolutely adore Blender, yesterday was the first time i actually moved something in Blender, but am fully aware of it's magnificent capabilities.
And the new 2.8 version was released yesterday, i think.
Regards.

More
01 Aug 2019 12:16 - 01 Aug 2019 12:33 #141098 by Todd Zuercher
I should have posted a pic of what the tool paths look like. I was also very impressed by the speed of FreeCAD generating the tool paths.

Now building the model and figuring out how to generate tool paths in this program was an entirely different story. That was a rather painful process. But I'll chalk that up to not being familiar with the program. With practice that should get easier.

I am slightly disappointed that it only outputs metric g-code, but I can deal with it. Overall I am very excited to play with this new tool.

PS: The Adaptive Tool Paths feature is new to FreeCAD v0.18. (Which is in Debian 10/Buster and Testing/Bullseye. I am running Bullseye on my FreeCAD machine.)
Attachments:
Last edit: 01 Aug 2019 12:33 by Todd Zuercher.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
02 Aug 2019 18:44 #141218 by cahlfors
Replied by cahlfors on topic Adaptive Clearing (HSM)?

I am slightly disappointed that it only outputs metric g-code, but I can deal with it.

Metric is default, but there are lots of people using imperial in FreeCAD. As I live in metric heaven, I have not bothered to learn where the setting is made... You can search the FreeCAD forum and you will find the answer, as I know lots of people have had the same question.

More
02 Aug 2019 19:05 #141222 by Todd Zuercher
I thought I read/saw some place that FreeCAD only will output the G-code in Metric. I am doing my drafting and set up work in inches in FreeCAD, but it still spits out Metric G-code.

I have not gotten around to testing if the machine I want to run the above test on will work right with metric g-code or exactly how it will need configured to use it. My biggest concern is that tool offsets will still be handled correctly. It could ruin your day if your tool offset used the wrong units.

Hopefully I will have some time to run some tests next week sometime.

More
02 Aug 2019 19:57 #141225 by pl7i92
Replied by pl7i92 on topic Adaptive Clearing (HSM)?
workes fine
the hint are only the rapids inside toolpath cand be toggled

More
02 Aug 2019 20:09 #141226 by cahlfors
Replied by cahlfors on topic Adaptive Clearing (HSM)?
Yes, it generates metric g-codes by default. If you find the setting in Path, it will come out as imperial instead.
www.freecadweb.org/wiki/Path_Workbench
Scroll down to "units" and you will find the instructions.

Time to create page: 0.159 seconds