Parallel port keeps changing address!

More
20 Aug 2019 17:12 - 20 Aug 2019 17:14 #142624 by polobear189
Greetings fellow linuxcncers

New Linux user, had a slight difficulty setting up the machine but apart from that loving Linux over windows/mach3

Got it all running with a Netmos PCI card , the computer also has an onboard pport, so I'm set up as running 2 pports even though the onboard is all set as unused.

It all works dreamily but when I power the system down and back up again I find the pc doesn't mimic the status of the machine, i.e estop. A quick lspci -vv gives me the address of the card I'm using and lo and behold it's changed addresses, normally it switches between 0x4010 and 0x1010, it works with both addresses perfectly it's just annoying having to change it most times I power on the system.

I'm new to Linux but this doesn't seem like a common problem.

Is there any way to give the card a fixed address?

Many thanks if anyone can help!
Andy
Last edit: 20 Aug 2019 17:14 by polobear189.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Aug 2019 17:22 #142625 by tommylight
There is a setting in BIOS that has to be changed to prevent that from happening, something with assigning IRQ or resources has to be set to manual, not automatic.
Have no access to computers right now ( well last few days, to damn bussy so doing everything on the phone ) so i can not check.
Have a look and try to find that, or tell us what make and model the PC is, maybe i can drop by my shop later and check.

More
20 Aug 2019 18:26 #142633 by Todd Zuercher
You may also be able to set it up in your Linuxcnc config to use parport 0, parport 1,... rather than the explicit addresses. That way it doesn't matter if the PCI parallel port changes address.

More
20 Aug 2019 19:48 - 20 Aug 2019 19:49 #142639 by polobear189
Thanks everyone for the help,it seems to be the BIOS settings,only thought you could select a pport as being active not "dont assign one":evil:

On an old crappy HP BIOS screen anyway..it was set as do not select or do not assign or something.

Is there an easy way of seeing a PC's specs on linux terminal?RAM CPU etc..

for anyone who was wondering how to do that go to

ADVANCED SETTINGS > ONBOARD DEVICES > PARALLEL DRIVER > select your address

The address is represented differently for some reason 0x278 which i think is linux's assigned number 1 port

Andy
Last edit: 20 Aug 2019 19:49 by polobear189.

More
21 Aug 2019 13:39 #142722 by Todd Zuercher
The parallel port settings in the BIOS are only for the computers built in parallel port, and should not have any effect on how the PCI one behaves.

More
21 Aug 2019 15:17 #142728 by pl7i92
better to dont go by 0x278 the 0x378 is the preferd parport inside number

and as from 2.7x it is the best to only go by the parport.0 parport.1
no need to adress

Time to create page: 0.322 seconds