EMC2 2.4.6 Upgrade Questions

More
07 Sep 2019 20:45 #144494 by RCDON
Hello everyone, newbie here. Just a quick question. I have an old Smithy 622 mill that I acquired recently and it is currently running Ubuntu 10.04 LTS and EMC2 2.4.6 (2011). I ran my first tool path on the machine this morning using MeshCAM G-Code which worked flawlessly. My question is would it be worth while to upgrade to a newer OS and LinuxCNC version or, keep well enough alone? There is a lot of settings that I am not sure how to export or even find that could be a hassle to deal with. I am mainly interested in backlash compensation of which I think this version of EMC2 does not support? Thanks in advance!

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Sep 2019 22:24 #144495 by tommylight
That looks clean !
There are several possibilities to upgrade, but the best would be to add another SSD/HDD and install the new version there so you can switch back if something is not right.
The first thing you should do is backup the existing config folder to a USB or external HDD, or even better zip it and upload it here, that way we can have a look to see if it uses anything out of the ordinary ( i do not think so ) and then you can proceed with the upgrade.
You can also do a double install on the existing HDD and switch between them during boot time. For this the easiest version to install would be Linux Mint, but this is a bit heavier on the resources so it is advisable to check what the computer is capable of handling.
Or even better would be to wait some more days as the new release should be upon us soon, that way you avoid doing that again for some reason or another.

More
08 Sep 2019 00:42 #144499 by RCDON
Replied by RCDON on topic EMC2 2.4.6 Upgrade Questions
Thanks for the info Tommy. The computer that is built into the control cabinet is an LGA 775 socket with a core 2 duo 2.6 GHZ (4 gig RAM) so not too good and not too bad I guess. The OS was loaded onto a CF card drive (4 gig) of which I had cloned through Ubuntu onto a 16 gig for safety. I squirreled away the original card so I could experiment with the copy drive. I would like to fit the new "system" on the 16 gig card if possible. I have attached the config files of my machine which at the moment are greek to me. I know a little about sketches for Arduino and it looks a bit like that to me. Anyhow, maybe someone can look at them and see if these config files would be enough for me to try and update the system. There are two ziped files of the same thing. One was done in Windows and one in Linux.

Thanks again Tommy for the concise reply. I am super excited to go out and make more chips!!!

Cheers!
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
17 Sep 2019 00:00 #145350 by andypugh
You could try incrementally following the instructions here:
wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?UpdatingTo2.5
then
wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?UpdatingTo2.6
then
linuxcnc.org/docs/2.7/html/getting-start...dating-linuxcnc.html

But it's probably best to just use those notes to compile a list of the config changes needed and then copy your existing configs to a fresh new install from the downloads page

More
17 Sep 2019 00:44 #145361 by RCDON
Replied by RCDON on topic EMC2 2.4.6 Upgrade Questions
Thank you for the help Andy! I will give it a try.

Cheers!

Time to create page: 0.194 seconds