Where do I go from here? Troubleshooting X axis

More
17 Sep 2019 09:02 #145379 by tommylight
You can just wire the X drive to the Y axis output, at least you would know the drive is OK.
But first measure if there is any voltage on the drive input wires, something might be wrong there and destroy the output on the PMDX.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Sep 2019 12:57 #145387 by bevins

So today I swapped X and Y axis drives. The problem is still present. I did notice on my PMDX-126 there is an led on the J4 connector Pin 3 that outputs to the X drive. J4 Pin 3 is fed by parallel port cable pin 3. I retested my parallel port cable and it still seems to be fine. all pins have less than and OHM. I watched the LED's while the machine was homing. My homing sequence is Z, Y, X. I watched some LED's on the connector for Z axis turn on and off during homing. I did the same for Y axis. Then when X tries to home it does nothing but the LED stays lit. Any ideas?

Attached is a picture of the LED.

If you swapped the X and Y axis drives, the problem should have changed to the Y axis if it was the drive.

Did the issue show up on the Y axis?

More
17 Sep 2019 16:06 #145404 by SRcnc
No it did not follow the drive. So that rules out the drives for me. I ordered a new parallel cable 1 to 1 last night. Should be here Friday. I just want to rule that out before I start testing every wire and everything.

More
17 Sep 2019 22:16 #145457 by andypugh
Quite a lot of parallel cables are minimally wired for printers, ie not all pins are connected.

More
21 Sep 2019 17:34 #145769 by SRcnc
Okay guys I think I found my issue. I believe my X direction Gecko driver is burnt up.

I compared voltages on all 12 pins of X, Y and Z drivers. I found an anomaly on pins 5, 6, 7, 8 and 11.

On Y and Z voltages are as follows: Pin 5 - 13v
Pin 6 - 16v
Pin 7 - 14.37v
Pin 8 - 14.5v
Pin 11 - 6.97v

On X drive voltages are as follows: Pin 5 - 33.98v
Pin 6 - 34.0v
Pin 7 - 33.48v
Pin 8 - 33.46v
Pin 11 - 30.92v

I then noticed a burned looking chip on the X Gecko drive. You can see it in the picture.

I'm assuming the Geckos resistance circuit isn't working. I tested all three resistors and they all read around 1.470k Ohms. So I don't think the resistor is the issue.
I guess I need to order a new drive or see if it can be repaired.

Any guesses to why the chip would of burnt in the first place? I don't want it to happen again.
Attachments:

More
21 Sep 2019 17:42 #145771 by andypugh
Many stepper drivers are easily damaged if the motor is disconnected. So I would check your X motor cables. Check them while flexing if they move during machining.

More
21 Sep 2019 19:45 #145783 by SRcnc
You know that would make sense. The X axis wiring was in bad shape. I thought that was the source of my issue. I rewired it after the issue started so it should be good to go when I get the new driver in. I am trying to figure out a solution for strain relief when the axis moves. The wires kind of dangle off of the stepper and drag in the chips and coolant. I have a cable chain on my Z axis but I don't think it would be a fitting solution for the X. Any suggestions?

More
21 Sep 2019 20:00 #145785 by andypugh

The wires kind of dangle off of the stepper and drag in the chips and coolant. I have a cable chain on my Z axis but I don't think it would be a fitting solution for the X. Any suggestions?

Do you have a picture of the machine?

I went with cable chain on my lathe: but that only moves in one direction.

More
22 Sep 2019 15:29 #145859 by OT-CNC
I use anaconda sealtite on a BP knee mill. I assume the HF mill is small, look for some continuous flex liquid tight conduit that is rated for oil and heat resistance in the right diameter range. I think 3/8 is the smallest at .77 od so maybe a bit thick for your application. If you are in the US, McMaster carries some of that stuff.
Another option is to get Igus continuous flex robotic cable. They have it in oil resistant jacketing that is quite durable. You can probably get away with just using that and no outer conduit. I would add a nice cord restraint at the motor and drive box.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SRcnc

More
24 Sep 2019 22:59 #146114 by SRcnc
Thanks for the reply. I don't have pictures right now but I think what OT-CNC posted is worth looking at.

Time to create page: 0.181 seconds