5 axis router LinuxCNC setup

More
09 Oct 2019 10:58 #147553 by Wireline
Hi

I am looking into building a 5 axis router setup using linuxcnc similar to this in geometry:

Please can you advise how straightforward it would be to set up with LCNC, which kinematics modules can be used, if there are ready-to-go config files (or just a simple case of running the wizard?).

We intend to use BLDC drives such as this one

www.maxongroup.co.uk/medias/sys_master/r...102046/19-EN-275.pdf

Is it feasible to use the BLDC HAL component? We are currently assessing driver boards and looking at the STMBL + Mesa as well as Maxon and other commercial offerings.

Are there any particular issues to be aware of with a 5 axis router and LCNC?

Many thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Oct 2019 14:24 #147562 by lisandromassera
I've built one myself, and you have to take a lot of care with the dimensions and squareness of the head, most dimensions are quite critical.
I would say you are quite low on the rotary axis torque. You will need a lot of reduction. Depends on the tool length and the material you will be cutting, but for cutting 6mm HIPS at a tool length of 200mm my setup has a max 30Nm.
Also consider that a low backlash reduction is very important.

More
18 Oct 2019 12:37 #148186 by andypugh
There is a very similar geometry available as one of the LinuxCNC Vismach demos:
sim/axis/vismach/5axis/bridgemill

That demo uses a moving gantry, and it looks like you are considering a moving table, but the two configs are kinematically identical.

Time to create page: 0.064 seconds