TB6600 and HBS57H differential mode?

More
16 Oct 2019 17:52 #148022 by tommylight

Thanks for all the great input. For other readers and to be sure I got all points the results of this discussion are:

Does the TB6600/ DM542A support differential mode?:
  • No, a differential receiver is pretty expensive to build. Having seperated grounds has nothing to do with differential mode
  • They use standard optocouplers without a shared ground enabling two directional input
Differential mode will work for that, for sure.
How to correctly connect the TB6600/ DM542A?:
  • The correct mode is to connect either 5V constant and pulse- /dir- /enable- or use a common ground and pulse+...
That will work
  • Connecting pulse+/pulse- e.g. is possible but not really advantageuos since it might run optocouplers out of spec, raise energy consumption (and by this noise emission)
  • True, but it will also work properly as they do have resistors before optocouplers to limit that.

Correct?

See in RED

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
    16 Oct 2019 18:44 - 16 Oct 2019 18:48 #148035 by PCW
    Actually there is some benefit in driving Optocoupler LEDs with differential
    signals, they are not the best differential receivers since they typically have a
    threshold of 2-3V with typical input resistors and current thresholds vs
    ~200 mv for a good RS-422 receiver but you do improve the off state noise
    immunity by a couple of volts.

That said most cheap Chinese drives to not have reverse protection diode across
    the Optocoupler LED so you do apply -5V across the LED. This is typically right
    at the LED reverse voltage limit of Optocoupler specs so for cheap step drives its
    probably not the best idea to use differential signals.

(its actually a bad idea to have no reverse protection diode since LED reverse breakdown
    typically occurs at a relatively high voltage making them quite susceptible to static damage)
    Last edit: 16 Oct 2019 18:48 by PCW. Reason: clarify
    The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
    17 Oct 2019 00:31 #148066 by rollfree

Thanks for all the great input. For other readers and to be sure I got all points the results of this discussion are:

Does the TB6600/ DM542A support differential mode?:
    • No, a differential receiver is pretty expensive to build. Having seperated grounds has nothing to do with differential mode
    • They use standard optocouplers without a shared ground enabling two directional input

How to correctly connect the TB6600/ DM542A?:
    • The correct mode is to connect either 5V constant and pulse- /dir- /enable- or use a common ground and pulse+...
    • Connecting pulse+/pulse- e.g. is possible but not really advantageuos since it might run optocouplers out of spec, raise energy consumption (and by this noise emission)

Correct?

Yes.

More
    17 Oct 2019 09:28 - 17 Oct 2019 15:49 #148101 by Louis Cypher

(its actually a bad idea to have no reverse protection diode since LED reverse breakdown
    typically occurs at a relatively high voltage making them quite susceptible to static damage)

Very good point. One could easily apply one I'd assume being a complete layman (mechanical engineer), right? If yes, any recommendations?
    Last edit: 17 Oct 2019 15:49 by Louis Cypher.

More
    17 Oct 2019 19:33 #148147 by rollfree

Very good point. One could easily apply one I'd assume being a complete layman (mechanical engineer), right? If yes, any recommendations?

Recommendation: do not use differential transmission, so there is no danger of reverse voltage.

If you still have to use differential transmission, buy the cheapest diode (for example 1n4148) or similar in TH or SMD, and solder it directly to the optron legs in the driver.
    No problem and (almost) no money.

More
    05 Apr 2022 16:16 - 05 Apr 2022 18:49 #239355 by garrettmin
    Motors not Turning & Idle HOT.. 

Test with LED
    Wiring Stepper Mode of Common Anode,Cathode or Differential?
    Wiring Enable?
    Driver Firmware Lock Enabled? 
    EMC2 Firmware Not Enabling?

Leadshine HBS57H documentation yes support Differential Mode
    TB6600 documentation no support for Differntial Mode
    7i76 Does Light Up LED in sequence with G-Code @ Step-+ Dir-+

HM2 doe not have any settings for the different Common Anode, Cathode, Differential wiring schemes. We presume it is automatic or inherent in the design.

LED TEST:
    LED Testing was the BIG Winner for the Novice. 
    More often than not, Cheap Wiring & Connections have proven to be the Failure in LED Testing.  

LED VERIFICATION:
    install small LED at every connector Signal to visually verify your wiring is all working correctly. 

The problem was "Cheap Security Wire 24GA / 26GA" & Faulty Connections.
    TB6600 in Common Cathode with Good Wiring resulted Motors Turning ! 
    Congradulations, My first Turning Motor... 
    A TB6600 with an N17 on a 7i92 7i76 with EMC2! 
    Last edit: 05 Apr 2022 18:49 by garrettmin.

More
    07 Apr 2022 21:52 #239597 by andypugh
    Stepper motors run hottest when not turning. (the opposite of servos)

Time to create page: 0.221 seconds