Who is running a Gang Tool Lathe?

More
14 Oct 2019 17:45 #147877 by Scot
I'd really like to have some one-on-one question/answer time with someone who is using LinuxCNC to run a Gang Tool lathe.

If there is anyone out there who has a working configuration of such a tool, let me know.

The forum is amazing, but it can be VERY confusing in this regard. Because lathes are different than Mills and Gang Tool lathes are different than other lathes.

I've gotten some awesome feedback but I'm nearing a point where I may just take my config file that's working and start from scratch with a new install of LinuxCNC.

Thanks in advance,

Scot

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Oct 2019 01:47 #147962 by OT-CNC
Scot,

I'm trying to help you out but you're adding so many new posts I can't keep track.

I have a gang set up on my Hardinge and it's really not very different from other lathes. Works great with linuxcnc, does CSS, rigid tapping, threading etc. I'm very happy with it.

Is your interface still locking up when trying to set tool offsets?
If so we need to figure out if it's the config I worked on, or if it's a computer issue, or other issue.

Please have pico look over your configs. (Modified hal and ini files for lathe) maybe continue that in your original post.

Once axis behaves correctly I think you will have no problem getting it to do what you need.

More
16 Oct 2019 10:25 #147984 by tommylight

Scot,

I'm trying to help you out but you're adding so many new posts I can't keep track.

Yup, there are 6 or 7 topics with similar questions for the same machine. Makes it very difficult to follow.

More
16 Oct 2019 17:14 #148015 by Scot
Scot,

"I'm trying to help you out but you're adding so many new posts I can't keep track."

Sorry. I approach things from a shotgun perspective. And I'm literally sleeping on the shop floor sans Monday and Friday nights to get this machine going. And it's about 98% finished. So I'm hitting all places on the forum that I think could gather the answers to my questions. The barrage is in hopes to get as many answers as I can, then work from there. I know People are busy, and I know more than one person reads this stuff at a time and at different times. But if my approach is problematic, please forgive me.

"I have a gang set up on my Hardinge and it's really not very different from other lathes. Works great with linuxcnc, does CSS, rigid tapping, threading etc. I'm very happy with it."

And you helped me immensely. So I can't thank you enough for continuing. Anything you have to offer, please don't hold back.

"Is your interface still locking up when trying to set tool offsets?"

Yes. And I'm pretty sure if I can get that to stop, I can make the parts I'm setting out to do and finish the second machine I have to rebuild. This first one has more challenges. But once ironed out, I'm pretty sure the second will be done much faster and with very little fanfare. The concepts are nearly identical for each machine and hardware configurations. So If I can get the software to do what I need, then I can turn scrap iron into functioning production equipment.

"If so we need to figure out if it's the config I worked on, or if it's a computer issue, or other issue."

I'm pretty sure it's a software problem. What do you need to help you figure it out?

"Please have pico look over your configs. (Modified hal and ini files for lathe) maybe continue that in your original post."

I've been in and out the files and moved and edited all kinds of things. Some successful, some not. The only issue left that I can see is the hangup with entering the code to change the tool, which opens the dialog box for tool touch off. So if there is a direction you can point that I haven't been to, I'll see what I can make happen. But I think my main problem is a lack of understanding of what the file reading process works like and what's missing or in the way of making this tool touch off function, actually function.

"Once axis behaves correctly I think you will have no problem getting it to do what you need. "

I sure hope so. Because I'm pretty sure the touch off process is in the way of me making some money with this machine. Any ideas on what I'm missing or what I can tell folks on the forum so I can get out of this hole? Many here have done some amazing things to help me in my snags. Like I wrote above, though, I'm not fully informed as to how LinuxCNC gathers information to make happen what needs to happen. So maybe I'm in over my head. IDK. All I know is that I want to finish this and I'm past the date I planned on finishing and I'd like to get these machines to make parts.

Like I said, please for give my approach. I get a bit manic sometimes when I have a big project. Since LinuxCNC isn't my first language, I'm having trouble.

Scot

More
16 Oct 2019 17:18 - 16 Oct 2019 17:19 #148017 by Scot
Yes, and I'm sorry about that, Tommy. I don't mean to confuse or put anyone off. I'm using an approach that I thought would bear more answers. But apparently it created confusion . Please forgive me for this. Any help you can offer, I'm open and ready for. I'll sit and wait. I know you gents are busy with life. The hang up with free software and the wide array of configurations is that support is not paid for but left to the kindness of those who understand more than I do.

I took a day off. But I'm back in the shop, until Friday. So if you or anyone else is able to add anything that I'm missing, please do.

Thanks again. I sincerely appreciate it.

Scot
Last edit: 16 Oct 2019 17:19 by Scot. Reason: Bad puncutation.

Time to create page: 0.063 seconds